New Year's Resolutions... Learning Greek and Latin

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Jeff Tirey
Administrator

New Year's Resolutions... Learning Greek and Latin

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Happy New Year Everyone!!

Does anyone have learning goals in mind for the coming year?

I plan to read the entire Anabasis of Xenophon - that's my 2004 goal.

Anyone else?

Jeff
Textkit Founder

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Just to study regularly, really; get back to doing a lesson a day, the way I was before the Christmas season. :?

Oh, yes! And to make those vocabulary cards that I've been planning to make for the past decade. :D

I'd also like to finish the books I'm working in (D'Ooge and White) before the start of the college school year, next fall.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Keesa wrote:Just to study regularly, really; get back to doing a lesson a day, the way I was before the Christmas season. :?
slow and steady wins the race.
Textkit Founder

Raya
Textkit Fan

Post by Raya »

[1] Complete H&Q
[2] Finish reading all set texts (those assigned to be read in translation)
[3] Complete 1st draft of IB coursework (a project on the aesthetic bases of Greek art of the Classical period)

...and that's just for the end of Jan! :shock:

klewlis
Global Moderator

Post by klewlis »

I still have not finished Wheelock, although I am very close (on lesson 32 of 40). This was my goal for 2003 as well and I didn't quite make it, but I'm almost there. :)

I'd like to finish my trek through the greek NT... I'm only on Mark right now.

And for classical, I'd like to work all the way through the Odyssey! Although that may be a little high of a goal...lol.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: New Year's Resolutions... Learning Greek and Latin

Post by annis »

jeff wrote:Does anyone have learning goals in mind for the coming year?
Get most of the way through the Aoidoi commentary and notes for Hesiod's Theogony. This goes slowly, but I need to make some firm decisions about what vocabulary not to define all the time and put in a list someplace else. I just took a nice look at Pharr's Virgil and he has a sheet of words at the end you're expected to know but everything else is defined on the same page as the line of poetry occurs. I'll probably go with that.

At least one lesson a week from the North and Hillard Greek Prose Composition, including actual vocabulary memorization.

It's amusing to me to be able to say that I bought a house before I ever learned to drive, but I think perhaps 2004 will find me taking driver's education and getting a license (assuming I don't plow down too many pedestrians during training). Carting bonsai about is easier when you have your own transportation. Fortunately a car time-share company recently opened in Madison, so there'll be no need for me to buy one of those, too. More money for books!
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Nice thread fred, I mean jeff :D

1. Learn to write chinese, by completing the necessary book (the one and only, by Bjorksten).
2. Complete Basic Chinese by Yip Po Ching.
3. Complete Henry Carr Pearson's intermediate Latin prose composition based on Cicero, having memorised all the new grammar vocabulary etc. I just bought this book from ebay! (Then, with me fluent,
write an explicit latin story set in a bishopric in brittany - l'éveché)
4. Formally do Armenian grammar, script, vocabulary. I speak it anyway but don't write or know the language structure, it's too natural if you like.
5. Learn Italian, with nothing but Hugo Italian in Three Months (what a book!)
6. Find some one to take this stray cat in and give him a place to sit his latin exam! Then gain close to full marks in this exam. Using Supines to shock the examiners. I'd lose marks anyway as they would have to assume that I don't know a subjunctive of purpose, but it would still be nice.

And I suggest you do the same :twisted:

No, but I sincerely wish you all the best of luck in improving, it's great to have completed something. Arte et labore :wink:

Bert
Textkit Zealot

Post by Bert »

Modest goal; Finish Pharr and get a good start on Iliad 2.
(Are there any books available to help with this [other than Cunliffe, I have his lexicon now]?)

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

Bert wrote:Modest goal; Finish Pharr and get a good start on Iliad 2.
(Are there any books available to help with this [other than Cunliffe, I have his lexicon now]?)
Benner's selections from Homer's Iliad is generally available. Like Pharr, not exactly modern commentary, but very helpful for beginners anyway.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

I've been having a wild cover of grammar with Chase & Phillips. But I haven't been doing the excercise seriously.; only the Greek to English(or Korean) translations. So I've started doing the English to Greek translation excercises, beginning with the very early chapters again.