Looking for: Cornelius Nepos-edition

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Looking for: Cornelius Nepos-edition

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I have just finished reading the Narrationes Faciles de Historia Romanorum compiled by John P. Piazza. I intend to move on to my first real Latin text and have chosen as such the "Lives" by Cornelius Nepos. Right now, I am wondering which edition I should choose. My requirements are:
  • Full Latin text (no mere extracts),
  • notes on Grammar,
  • notes on content (!).
I had a look at various editions in the public domain available either from Archive.org or Google-Books and sorted them into the following three categories:

Not so good editions
Some of these "bad" editions contain only the Latin (or even English) text or have rather sparse notes. The work by John Clarke is interesting as the Latin text and English translation are on the same page, but I still listed it in this section as it does not contain proper notes.
  • Clarke John, Cornelius Nepos's Lives of the Excellent Commanders. With an English Translation, as Literal as possible. With English Notes, and a large Index (1797)
  • Cobet C.G., Cornelii Nepotis Vitae Excellentium Imperatorum - In Usum Scholarum (1884)
  • Ottinus Henricus, Cornelii Nepotis Vitae Excellentium Imperatorum - Cum Adnotationibus Henrici Ottini (1880)
  • Vossius Gerardus, Cornelii Nepotis Vitae Excellentium Imperatorum (1745)
  • Watson John Selby, Justin, Cornelius Nepos, and Eutropius. Literally Translated, with Notes and a General Index (1853)
"OK"-editions
These editions are okay but, at least in my humble opinion, not quite good enough. Of some interest to anyone able to read in French is the edition by Mr. Bauwens which contains two interesting appendices. Appendix I contains "Quelques observations sur la grammaire de C. Népos" (about specialties of grammar of Cornelius Nepos), and Appendix II contains "Erreurs historiques de Corn. Népos" (about historical errors made by the author). I shall probably print them and use them as an additional help.
  • Browning Oscar, Inge William Ralph, Cornelius Nepos with English Notes - Part I: Introduction and Text, Part II: Notes (1888)
  • Lindsay Thomas B., Cornelius Nepos. Prepared expressly for the use of students learning to read at sight; with notes, vocabulary, index of proper names, and exercises for translation into Latin (1888)
  • Bauwens E., Cornelius Nepos. Texte revu et corrigé d'après les travaux les plus récents de Halm, Cobet, Andresen, etc., suivi d'un dictionnaire contenant outre le sens de mots employés par l'auteur, les notions grammaticales, historiques et géographiques propres à en faciliter l'intelligence (1886)
  • Oxford (author unknown), Cornelius Nepos. With Short English Notes for the Use of Schools (1855)
  • Rolfe John C., The Lives of Cornelius Nepos With Notes, Exercises, And Vocabulary (1895)
  • Stuart George, Cornelii Nepotis Vitae. With Explanatory Notes and a Lexicon (1875)
  • Quicherat L., Cornelii Nepotis Operae Quae Supersunt (1867)
  • Wheeler George B., Cornelii Nepotis Vitae Illustrium Imperatorum Ad Fidem Optimorum Codicum Castigatae (1863)
Good editions
These are the editions I regard as worth using.
  • Arnold Thomas K., Johnson E.A., Cornelius Nepos with Answered Questions and Imitative Exercises (1850): Latin text, followed by notes for all chapters, and with "questions" and "exercises" for the first fourteen chapters.
  • Anthon, Charles, Cornelius Nepos with Notes, Historical and Explanatory (1858): Latin text, followed by notes (both grammar and content)
  • Lindsay Thomas B., Cornelius Nepos. Prepared expressly for the use of students learning to read at sight; with notes, vocabulary, index of proper names, and exercises for translation into Latin (1895): Latin text followed by Notes (both grammar and to a lesser degree content) and English texts (to be translated into Latin). This version has the best formatting of the notes.
  • Macmichael J.F., Cornelii Nepotis Vitae for the Use of Schools with Notes and Indices (1874): Latin text and notes (both grammar and content) on the same page. Each chapter begins with "Historical References and Dates"
These four "good" editions have their pros and cons, and I am still wondering which of these I ought to use. Has anyone of you used one of these and found especially useful? Or do you know about any other editon (not necessarily in public domain) which fits my bill?

Gratiam vobis ago.

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

parjanya
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Looking for: Cornelius Nepos-edition

Post by parjanya »

I would use the most current edition of the text, and use all the commentaries I could get. You will eventually trust some of them more than the others, and so your choice will come naturally...