Salvete!

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
kgrundtisch
Textkit Neophyte

Salvete!

Post by kgrundtisch »

Hello,
I have always been interested in the Ancient world. I am a double major in Classics and Anthropology, and am concentrating in Archaeology in both. I am entering my third year of Latin this fall, as well as starting my first year of Greek. Unfortunately for me, I was sent down the wrong path by many people.

I always wanted to learn Greek. Not only did the Anthropologists tell me that Classics was pointless and that Latin was a waste of time, but the Classicists told me that I had to take Latin first. So here I am, going on my fifth year of undergrad, trying to finish my honors thesis for Anthropology, but only beginning with language.

I finally realized that I needed to stop listening to others, they do not know what I want, only I do. I have never been the type of person to let others tell me what I can and cannot do. If I give up before I even start, then I've already failed myself. If all I have to do is keep my grades high, take the GRE's, and do a post-bac year, then I will. End of story.

This is my plan. I am teaching myself Greek this summer, whether anyone else thinks I can is irrelevant to my goals. Luckily for me, there are a few kind people in this world and I found one. I told him of my plans and he lead me to this website.

I didn't think I could be even more excited to teach myself a dead language than I was already....

Thanks for the warm welcome and happy spring!

Katie

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Salvete!

Post by thesaurus »

Welcome Katie,

I'm glad you figured out what you want to do. Most people will not understand or encourage an interest in Greek and Latin, but as you've discovered, it doesn't really matter what other people think on this issue. Plus, it doesn't matter whether studying the languages is "relevant" or not if you enjoy doing it. I no longer have any professional designs for my study of Greek and Latin; I do it as a hobby and enjoy it a lot, and many others here feel the same way. Be sure to post any questions you may have to the forums!
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute