New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
Petrel
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by Petrel »

Hi,
About 13 years ago I spent 6 years studying ancient Greek and completed most of the readings for a masters as an auditor. Now I am making my way back to the texts, and want to do the Ilias. So I stumbled on your site. Having always enjoyed recitation/declamation in pitch, I'd like to join your discussion.
Peter Haughwout

hdsjr55
Textkit Neophyte

Post by hdsjr55 »

I am a studier of the Bible and try to delve into the Greek to get a better understanding of what is being said. Sometimes I need help understanding things that I can't make sense of through independent study.

ΕστανισλαοΣταν
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ΕστανισλαοΣταν »

Hi, I'm a student at St. John's College (SF). I'm a rising sophomore and I'm studying Greek over the summer so I don't forget it come time to go back. I do enjoy it, though it's very hard. I'm studying for translation purposes, I'm not good at writing it at all or at accents. I've found that online communities can be very helpful when it comes to learning programming, and I think that probably translates over to learning languages. So, since I have trouble from time to time with figuring out a sentence or word or what not by myself, I searched for a community that would help me further improve my translation skills. I think I've found it.

fabulosus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fabulosus »

In foris scribentibus Ave
a viro cum pondo pergrave.

I'm a good old man finally retired, travelling in thw world and trying to learn latin and greek by myself

I'm currently in Italy, on holidays and to hear the Italian pronounce of Latin, after learned and used the PRONUNTIA RESTITUTA in German and English part of World

excuse me in advance for my insufficient knowledge, I'm trying to learn as best as possible

davidmccollough
Textkit Neophyte

Post by davidmccollough »

Hi, my name is David McCollough and I am a research student at London School of Theology working on Christian initiation in Luke-Acts. I need to improve my Greek and am glad to be able to use this site.

My immediate concern is how best to translate δίδοται in Acts 8:18. It is in a dependent clause and Rijksbaron (2002) paragraph 18.1 says of clauses with verbs of perception that, "In the dependent clause the language user may, therefore, use the same moods and tenses that he would use if he were to express the content of that dependent clause in an independent sentence." In that case, then, I am thinking that the independent sentence would be, "The Spirit is given through the laying on of the apostles' hands." It seems to follow that this would indicate that Simon recognized a principle "is given" rather than a series of actions, "was given". Is the relative time of the clause a function of grammar or a function of context?

ἰδὼν δὲ ὁ Σίμων ὅτι διὰ τῆς ἐπιθέσεως τῶν χειρῶν τῶν ἀποστόλων δίδοται τὸ πνεῦμα, προσήνεγκεν αὐτοῖς χρήματα (Act 8:18)

All the best,
David

Teluog
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Teluog »

Greetings. I'm a recent Bible College graduate, hoping to go onto further academic studies of the Bible, and loved doing the Greek courses in Bible College (they were my best courses!). Although I was not a fan of the textbook and method we used to learn the basics (Summers' Essentials), so I grabbed Mounce's textbook to review and clarify some things and change the way I've been learning and remembering things. But this search to improve my Greek led me to Buth's historical pronunciation which I've been using with great joy, and made me aware of his and others' immersion techniques which I want to check out someday.

Right now I would consider myself an advanced beginner who plans on doing some graded reader and morpohlogy and vocab books before tackling Wallace. And then I plan on checking out some immersion methods. Hopefully some day I can be a prof and teach Greek myself in a manner that is both fun and practical.

ORabbit
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ORabbit »

Hello-

It's been 17 years since I studied Latin in high school. I was a good student at the time, and a friend and I liked to make jokes in Latin.

Anyway, now I'm a t-shirt designer, and from time to time I need a Latin phrase for a shirt. I've seen some really bad Latin and other foreign phrases out there, and I'd love this community's help to get my translations as good as they can be.

Thanks!

Agape
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Agape »

Hi! I'm an 18 year-old girl from Europe who loves everything connected to ancient Greece and Rome. I'm especially interested in ancient languages. I've been studying Latin for 3 years now and I've just finished my first year of ancient Greek. I've joined this site in order to meet people who are as passionate about classics as me. I would be delighted if anyone contacted me for a chat about grammar, literature or just how hard life of a classic-nerd is! :lol:

P. S.: Sorry for my not-so-perfect English. It's not my first language. :wink:

fgallegos
Textkit Neophyte

Post by fgallegos »

Hello everyone, my name is Fred. I came across this website via Reddit. I am hoping to learn more of the Latin language. I know enough, but not close to what I want to know. I am a history/special education major at MSU Denver.

JezusmesijajeGospod
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JezusmesijajeGospod »

Hello, my name is Mitja im from Slovenia and im a beliver in the Lord Jesus Christ. My goal is to learn Koine Greek.

LMH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LMH »

Hello. I'm a student of Latin from Texas. Although I took Latin in high school I never really mastered the language for various reasons, so my main goal at the moment is to remedy that shortcoming, since I love few things better than classical literature. So far I've read the first four books of the Gallic War, the first two Catiline orations, and a few excerpts from the poets (mostly Ovid and Virgil). I am actually going to be spending next year studying abroad in Italy, so I am also working on Italian off and on. I also hope eventually to get around to learning Greek, especially as a Philosophy major with a special interest in the ancients.

Phibun Mike
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Phibun Mike »

Hello,
I am learning Homeric Greek independantly, for fun. I live in Thailand and have no local teaching resources, so I hope to use the forum for help when I get stuck. As I progress, hopefully I can reciprocate.
Mike

Tokahlia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Tokahlia »

Hey there, I'm from New Zealand and am 16 years old. I'm hoping to try and learn Ancient Greek here, this website seems to be one of the better ones I've come across. I've just downloaded White's book and I'm already all pumped up.

Anyway, that's me really. ^^

Agape
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Agape »

JezusmesijajeGospod wrote:Hello, my name is Mitja im from Slovenia and im a beliver in the Lord Jesus Christ. My goal is to learn Koine Greek.
Sorry for off-topic, but: Wow, somebody from my country! Nič ne bi imela proti kakšnemu pogovoru. :D

droutker
Textkit Neophyte

Post by droutker »

Hi everybody;
webpage looks like very useful.i am a med-student.i love anatomy and latin.i live in turkey.anybody from turkey in this site?

best regards

majia67
Textkit Neophyte

Post by majia67 »

Hello everybody! I'm an english lover and i've very interested in reading Shakespeare, but it requires a lot of latin and greek experience. So i think this website may be the best place for me to improve my level. And i hope everybody here has an open mind in communicating and helping. Thank you!

scientia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by scientia »

Hello!

I'm a sixteen year old girl from the UK and am fascinated and interested in Latin even though I've never been taught it. I hope to self-teach myself the basics of the language.

lutheran1
Textkit Neophyte

Post by lutheran1 »

Hi, I'm a seminary student learning Greek for the study of the New Testament. I've taken a beginning koine greek course and some NT courses that have required greek. Hoping to improve my reading so as to read non-biblical texts from the same period. Thank you for your work on this site!

MissNicolae
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MissNicolae »

I'm Nicole. I'm a college student. When I transfer I want to study Classics (the college I'm at now doesn't offer it). I'm here to teach myself Latin and then Classical Greek, so I can save some college credits for other classes that I am dying to take. Plus I would love to see the look on my professor's faces when I test out of both languages!!!! :D

rchrdtrmbl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by rchrdtrmbl »

Name's Richard. Born again 1-10-71. Still a sinner, much to my shame and chagrin.

Will be 60 in a matter of days. (sometimes that's also to my chagrin, but, hey, what can I do about it?) (no shame involved with reaching 60, just plain pure amazement that God hasn't eliminated me already.) I know that God loves me because He chastises me. Proverbs 3:12 and Hebrews 12:6 tell me that. I've wondered over the years why He continues to put up with me - gotta be love.

I studied Greek and the Bible for almost 4 years with an elder pastor who had formerly been the Bible chair at the university I attended. In the intervening years a multitude of health issues happened (some of the aforementioned chastisement) and in 1993 I almost entirely lost my memory. '93 to '00 are a whole other story, but since then I have regained most of what I had lost, including much of the Greek I had learned.

One of the consequences of the discipline is that I continue to have specific language deficits and I have to work hard to remember certain things. I plan to use this site to help me overcome those deficits and to learn things I never previously knew.

So, I'll see you around.

obella
Textkit Neophyte

Post by obella »

Hello everyone, I'm a seoer in a website(Chinajiaho),I hope your suggest

Nicolas
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nicolas »

Salvete! Hi! ¡Hola!
My name is Nicolás, I'm studying Latin.
I`d like to read and speak fluently Classic Latin.
Hope to find tips and help from you!
Thanks! Gratias vobis! ¡Gracias!
In proximum!
Nico.-

joe450
Textkit Neophyte

Post by joe450 »

Hello. My name is Joe, and I'm interested in comparing different Bible translations for a given verse, by learning some Greek.

etincelle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by etincelle »

Hi,
I don't know much Latin, but am planning on teaching it to my young children. This forum looks like it would be a great place for asking questions.

kvarjoy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kvarjoy »

Didn't realize we had to post here first, so here I am.

Lingophile interested in learning Latin, I'm a linguistics major who spends too much time on the internet and not enough time learning. Here's hoping I can combine the two with this website.

Hello all!

thegwayporsche
Textkit Neophyte

Post by thegwayporsche »

Hi im currently a student at the University of California Los Angeles thinking about minoring in Greek! Looking forward to meeting you all and joining this forum! :)

adlucem
Textkit Neophyte

Post by adlucem »

Hello, I read the "read first" and wanted to introduce myself here. The language experience I have is (besides English) German and Spanish. I had had some Greek at college (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away). I am interested in the classical languages, although I will not really be trying to learn them (i.e. don't have the time). Still, I often have questions and would appreciate being welcome to use this forum to ask persons with competence in the classical languages for help.
I promise I'm a real person and that I will not spam :D

SebastianV
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SebastianV »

Hi,
My name is Sebastian, i'm from New York. i just recently (about two weeks ago) started to religiosity apply myself to the learning of classical Latin. i read Familla Romana daily but also supplement it with many websites, youtube videos to help further with grammatical concepts, pronunciation and more. my goal is to be completely able to read/speak latin as latin and not merely just transliterate it.

adlucem
Textkit Neophyte

Post by adlucem »

Hello, I'd like to introduce myself. If this is a deja vu, that is because I just received a nice email from an admin explaining that by accident they'd hit "no" when it should have been "yes", so my posts were wiped out. Well, stuff happens.

adlucem
Textkit Neophyte

Post by adlucem »

introduction continued:

I am a language guy: German and Spanish and had had some Greek in college (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away :)

I am interested in different aspects of the classical languages, although I really don't have the time to "learn" them. Currently, I am working on a project where I need to pronounce Latin and Greek roots, and I was hoping to get some help here.

I am a real person and have no need to spam anybody with anything :)

Origon

Post by Origon »

Hello! My name is Sarah. It's my aim to read the Iliad and Odyssey in Homeric Greek and to pick up a little latin for pleasure and to augment my enjoyment in reading medical lit. Great site! Sarah
Last edited by Origon on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EmileJalbert
Textkit Neophyte

Post by EmileJalbert »

Bonjour à tous!

I am more than enthousiast by this forum. I live and study in Quebec city and I am a francophone. Therefore english is not my first langage. But I have good hope to improve my knowledge of english as well as improving latin. And so I will kill two birds with one stone. I started studying latin last year and I wish to do my master in latin litterature but there is still work to do before I'll get there.

Thanks in advance,
Émile

chalimac
Textkit Neophyte

Post by chalimac »

Hi I'm a new member, currently learning greek out of interest for etymology.

I look forward to be enlightened by fellow forum members.

MikeH
Textkit Neophyte

Post by MikeH »

My name is Mike. I am not studying languages, but rather I am an author want-to-be. I am working on my first book in a series. The book is about a warlock who ends up in a small town where four sisters (witches) live. In one of the scenes someone writes in ancient Latin a threat to the witches. I need some help in developing the threat. I know what I want it to say, but I lack the knowledge of ancient Latin to write it. Would anyone be able to give me a hand with this?

jjp400
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jjp400 »

Hello,

My name is JJ. I'm studying Classics (and Philosophy) at NYU. I'm starting my fifth semester of Greek and I've studied Latin for three semesters (I'm planning on taking at least one more Latin course). I love both languages (and languages in general) and would like to go on to study them or something that requires knowledge of them.

Thanks for these forums. They've been very interesting and even helpful just to glance through so far!

Requiescat
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Requiescat »

Hi, I am recently picking up Latin. I have experience in Afrikaans, Dutch and German as well as Japanese.

cihangir
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cihangir »

Hello, my name is David Larson and I have a life-long fascination with language learning. I found Textkit in the course of searching for online Greek resources, and now would like to work (slowly -- I have a day job) through White's First Greek Book.

ivan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ivan »

Hello!
My name is Ivan and I'm from Croatia.
I like languages. So I like latin too. But we didn't study greek in school, and so I decided to learn it using the Internet.
I was studing latin for two years. But, there are some parts of latin grammar that we didn't study. And of course, latin vocabulary, which I can't say I know it well. So, in the beginning, I might post question only about greek language, if I don't understand something and so.

oudeis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by oudeis »

Hi, nice to meet everyone. I'm a new student of ancient Greek, and hope to learn Latin soon too. I was motivated to join the site in order to correct a false statement in a thread that everyone who completes the CUNY Summer Greek/Latin Institute gets a "Gentleman's B" -- this is NOT TRUE!

G.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

oudeis wrote:Hi, nice to meet everyone. I'm a new student of ancient Greek, and hope to learn Latin soon too. I was motivated to join the site in order to correct a false statement in a thread that everyone who completes the CUNY Summer Greek/Latin Institute gets a "Gentleman's B" -- this is NOT TRUE!
I hope you're not living evidence of this fact :wink:

How was the Institute, by the way?
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute