New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
dubmdell
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by dubmdell »

Hey everyone, junior in college, hoping to be a classicist one day. The program is small at my university, so I'm studying hard on my own. This site is incredibly encouraging. Thanks.

Quin Firefrorefiddle
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Quin Firefrorefiddle »

Hi! I spent two years on Biblical Greek (Mounce, then Wallace) though I've lost a lot of it since, and am now trying to teach myself Latin with Lingua Latina. I'm finding I really like puzzling things out that way- I also have Wheelock, but I think I'll go through that after I'm done with LL. I'm studying to be a Lutheran pastor, and I don't have a natural gift for languages other than English when it comes to composition, but my comprehension can get okay with enough effort. I've poked around this site before, but have never used the forums.
Pax vobiscum!

dsch
Textkit Neophyte

Post by dsch »

Evidently I jumped straight into the Latin forum, so hi :). I am a graduate student in classics, with interests in epic narrative and literary theory.

Nickinnl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nickinnl »

Hello. I'm a fifty-something year old English literature graduate who never got round to learning Latin at school and have always had a bit of a hankering to try it. Ideally, I'd like to get to the level of doing some reading of some classical texts, but it remains to be seen if I can invest enough time and effort to achieve that.

Firetell13
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Firetell13 »

Hi! Im a person who would like to try to learn Latin and Greek as I would like to travel to Greece one day and I would like to learn Latin because I like learning about history and I think learning both Latin and Greek would help me accomplish my dream inbecoming a historian(Plus, I think it will be fun!) :D

Nickinnl
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Nickinnl »

I'm Nick. I'm an Englishman living in the Netherlands. I'm in my fifties and a literature graduate who never got around to learning any classical languages. I've always been conscious of so many authors having classical educations and making references to classical literature, that I'd like to do something to put that right, and ideally I aspire to get to the point of reading some Latin literature..

corey
Textkit Neophyte

Post by corey »

Hello, I am a 46 yr old who has come to realize that I need to know and understand the ancient languages to have a better und3erstanding of the Bible

Mick
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Mick »

Hello there, my name is Mick, I live in Ireland. I studied Latin in school many moons ago and went back to it a few years ago with "Latin For Today" book 1 and now I'm on book 2. They're ancient books but then it is an ancient language! Anybody else out there still using then?

French
Textkit Neophyte

Post by French »

Hi,

My name is French (really...that's what it says on the birth certificate). I speak a couple of modern languages, and was always interested in trying the classical ones (Latin and Greek). I tried both on my own...but between work and family...I always seem to run out of time to keep it up.
I took an intensive classical Greek class at UCLA and loved it...but again couldn't keep up on my own after the class was over...and each time I start...or restart... I feel I have to start "from the beginning" or risk getting hopelessly confused.
Now it looks as if I am finally headed into retirement...I teach school and cutbacks in California's school systems appears to be about ready to eliminate my department...and even if something is still kept, employment will be only a small part-time affair...so for sure I now have time to pursue my study of classical languages.
I'm starting with Greek...because those were the first books my fingers found the other day.
I enjoy trying again...but it does sometimes get a little lonely or frustrating...and I thought at least reading what other people say who are working on similar interests would be a good inspiration for me.

I think that probably sums it up.
French

caervlevs
Textkit Neophyte

Post by caervlevs »

Yes, it's been quite a while since I've last logged on. I first joined textkit.com in 2003 I think. Anyhow, I am returning to the forum for questions about Latin syntax etc. Cheers everyone!

PauldeEsperanza
Textkit Neophyte

Post by PauldeEsperanza »

Hello all - new here, though lurking for a while. Love ancient history, and ancient writers, and basically, tired of reading the latter through the prism of English, so I am trying to wend my way through both Wheelock and Pharr (have made a post about the prospects of doing this, awaiting moderation). Fairly fluent in modern French. I write, and read, a good deal. Currently, reading a nice book on the rise of Rome, part of Michael Grant's Mediterranean surveys; Montaigne; The Quick and the Dead, by Thomas Wiseman - concerns interwar Vienna, two polar views; on the bedstand speedrail, re-reading my likely most beloved authors, John Fowles, Lawrence Durell, Virginia Woolf, Stendhal.

Former French chef, martial arts instructor (Aikido, Japanese swordsmanship - former live-in apprentice to a Japanese master), academic. C'est tous, plus ou moins.

Restless. Tired of the city (Chicago), envision a greener life for myself and my family, coming up soon.

A fantastic site - looking forward to more!

possiblymaybe
Textkit Neophyte

Post by possiblymaybe »

Hello, I'm an art historian working mainly on medieval manuscripts. I've studied latin for a number of years, but I no longer have a latin teacher whom I can bug with random questions. I'd be very grateful for whatever help I can receive from the forum. Thanks!

steffi.alexa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by steffi.alexa »

Hi,

I'm Steffi. I'm starting to learn Latin and Greek over the summer because I intend to study at least one as a module whilst at uni should I get the grades and get in! I've applied for ancient history, so knowing the languages would be a huge help. I've only studied modern languages before and have recently completed my German A level (and am currently stressing over the wait for my result!). This website seemed like the most comprehensive place to start learning the languages and I love the fact that it has a forum, so I figured I'd sign up!

Ynu Sattru
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ynu Sattru »

Hello. :)

I'm a soon-to-be university student (hopefully...) who will possibly have a Latin course in a few months and wants to learn at least the basics of the language over the summer holidays, to gain a at least little advantage over other students/my future teacher before starting studying it in a real, uncomfortable, unfriendly academic environment. ;)

My current goal towards Latin is to memorise all possible suffixes and infixes (very superficially, though; I'm not going to care about exceptions, short and long sounds, vowel changes, etc. yet), and then just start reading elementary Latin texts, hoping that it will fill up all the missing details and inflections that I have omitted during the "memorising" phase. That's not a very refined plan, but it is the best I got. :D

I'd like to understand (if my meagre intellect allows me that, this is), however, what, for example, causes the difference between various declensions and conjugations, or variance between declensions/conjugations themselves. Googling, I came across a post by benissimus that seemed to cover about these very matters. So I decided that I'd register and read his other posts, hoping that I'd possibly learn something more on the topic.

That's the story. Hope you won't delete my account. ;)

columbula
Textkit Neophyte

Post by columbula »

I'm Nicole. I like Latin, though I'm horrible at it. I took it for 4 years in college and am trying desperately to gain the motivation of self study. But when there's pretty moving objects to watch, or books that I don't need a dictionary to understand every other word, it's really difficult.

I also studied Japanese for 4 years and Korean for 2. And though being from different language families, they've all helped me learn each other over the years. Latin especially helped when it ignited my love for grammar -- that helps in learning a language. haah.
I'm currently an English teacher at an Elementary school in Korea. I act like a clown all day, the kiddums laugh and it's awesome.

I'm a bit of an Ovid and Plautus mega fan. They make me laugh in a smart way which is my favorite. I thought Catullus was whiny when I read him but I might like him more now. I liked Horace more 'cause he has the warm your heart words of wisdom. And I'm hoping to read Tacitus soon.

Infern0
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Infern0 »

Hi Everyone!

I'm new on these forums and just registered. I've never taken Latin or Greek before, but I plan to take an introductory Latin course this fall and would love to really learn the language. Unfortunately, I probably won't have time to take the entire year of Latin (due to being a biochemistry major), but I wanted to get started and take at least one Latin class while in college. I love anything that has to do with classical civilization (so I'm minoring in it), and I decided last quarter that I would take at least one class in either Greek or Latin to better immerse myself in my classical studies (I decided on Latin in the end). I hope to use these forums as a place to learn more about the language even if I can't take a full year of formal Latin classes. Hopefully, I'll be able to self-study some of it after taking the class!

randyrrt
Textkit Neophyte

Post by randyrrt »

Hi!
I'm an adult learner and hoping that studying Greek and Latin will both help with efforts to learn other languages better (Biblical Hebrew and Koine Greek as well as Spanish).
Thanks for making so many excellent resources available here!
I'm excited to get started!
Randy

Archippus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Archippus »

My son is just starting Latin II in high school, and he's struggling. I would like to be able to help him (and should, theoretically, be able to since I took 4 years of Latin in high school), but my skills are rusty at best, since I haven't studied the language in about a thousand years. So, I'm here to help myself help my son.

Fidei defensor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Fidei defensor »

My name is Alex, and I'm 18 years old. I decide to teach myself Latin a few months ago, but never took that first step. so here I am now. I don't really have alot of experience, so help would be much appreciated.

felippo
Textkit Neophyte

Post by felippo »

hi, my name is felippo, i'm 18 years old. i got some Greek lessons in school about a year ago and now i'm trying to restart learning, and found this site :)
maybe i will try and see a little bit of Latin as well!

ruffian_on_the_stair
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ruffian_on_the_stair »

Hi all, I'm Maria, 19 from England. I'm looking to learn Latin and this place looks great so thought I'd hang around. Unfortunately my school didn't offer any ancient languages, however I did do A level ancient history and have been on a summer school which focused on ancient literature (albeit in English) and have read quite a bit in my own time. I study archaeology and am considering taking some classical archaeology papers next year so Latin would be another feather in my cap for that. It's the summer holidays so I thought I'd give myself something constructive to do. Bring on the Latin!

toilmikey
Textkit Neophyte

Post by toilmikey »

I studied Latin for around 5 years many, many moons ago. I came here to perhaps brush up on the Latin and give Greek a shot. I don't know about that Greek. My biggest stumbling block is the alphabet. "It's Greek to me." as Shakespeare said.

Dnode
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Dnode »

Xairete, I am Devon, from Phoenix, Arizona, USA. I'm someone who wishes he'd studied Greek and Latin in college, because if he had, he'd probably be an archaeologist digging in the Peloponnese right about now. I'm a huge fan of ancient Greek myths, literature, philosophy, and history. I suppose that describes a lot of people here.

Sondern
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Sondern »

Hi everyone,

I am starting as a graduate student in German this fall and I will be learning Ancient Greek as my secondary language. Classic Greek literature and philosophy have been a passion of mine over the years so I'm looking forward to developing a solid understanding of the language. I'm studying Attic Greek right now in preparation for my class. Anyway, I'm looking forward to participating in the forum as my vocabulary broadens.

Gregarius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Gregarius »

Salvete:

Though I studied Latin in high school long ago, I've recently come back to it. What fun. Amazing how some of the mnemonic tricks stay with you after decades.

Bedell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bedell »

You're not kidding about the mnemonics!

a, ab, absque, coram, de,
palam, clam, cum, ex and e,
sine, tenus, pro and prae,
add super, subter, sub, and in,
when state not motion 'tis they mean (prae in ecclesiastical pron.)

Learned that in 1992. Kept mentally reciting it to myself a fortnight ago while I was having root canal work done... :(
nothing should arouse more suspicion than a cross-party consensus - Antidemocritus fl. 2010

Shwump
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Shwump »

Hello!

A bit about me: I have one college semester of Latin, and about the same amount of Attic (although I study that on my own) and am looking to improve in both languages. I am fascinated by all things Greek and Roman, so I look forward to discussion on this site! (Most likely, however, my time here will be spent pleading for help with grammar and translation. :? )

TonyLoco23
Textkit Neophyte

Post by TonyLoco23 »

Hi,

I have signed up for this forum because I am trying to teach myself Latin so that I can pursue a History PHD.

nigeldavies
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nigeldavies »

Salvete omnes

I am a mature student of Latin and Attic Greek who seems to forget things as fast as I try to learn them. At the moment struggling with scansion Aeneid II. Hoping to eventually get "licences" in both languages from Lampeter University in Wales, UK.

Nigel

Vitance
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Vitance »

Hi, I'm Scott. I've been studying Latin independently for a while (I took two years of it in High School then stopped and forgot most of what I learned). I started up again a few months ago, and I'm really glad of finding a forum where I can come when something is troubling me, since not having a teacher leaves questions unanswered. By way of introduction, that's all I have. I'm sure I'll find the help I need here.
This thing which they call love, O Cupid,
Unite or else dissolve entire:
Inspire both with equal passion,
Or else inspire neither.

Twiglaser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Twiglaser »

Hey. I'm here to learn Latin because I need it to become a scientist. I'm only 14 right now and before I graduate from high school I wanna take that language test and pass it with flying colors, so my chances of becoming a scientist is increased. Although I'm having a problem opening the book called '' Latin For Beginners''. I downloaded it off the website but I don't know what program to use to open it. Would be excellent if I can start reading the book tonight.

iniciajaron
Textkit Neophyte

Post by iniciajaron »

Hello everyone. I am a former Classics student looking to resharpen my Latin skills in order to obtain a US high school teaching certification in the language. I am also contemplating going back for my PhD in Ancient History (currently, I have a Master's in Classical History, but it is a few years old now, as I have focused on teaching high school English and undergraduate World History).

Thank you for providing me with a place to brush up, practice, and develop my Latin skills.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Twiglaser!

You wrote:
I'm having a problem opening the book called '' Latin For Beginners''. I downloaded it off the website but I don't know what program to use to open it.
The text book by Benjamin D'Ooge is a plain PDF-file. You can open it using the freely availabe Acrobat Reader. Normally that program already should be installed on your computer. Otherwise just download it from Adobe's web site. Perhaps the file is broken, however, something that can happen sometimes (especially when the Internet connection is slow). The size of the file should be 5.70 MB. If it is less than that, just give the download another try.

Good luck with "Latin for Beginners". Don't worry if learning Latin is difficult at first. It is worth it. Anyway, as the saying goes: "Per aspera ad astra" ("through adversity to the stars"). By the way, don't forget to download the "Answer Key" as well so that you can check your progress.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Twiglaser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Twiglaser »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:Salve Twiglaser!

You wrote:
I'm having a problem opening the book called '' Latin For Beginners''. I downloaded it off the website but I don't know what program to use to open it.
The text book by Benjamin D'Ooge is a plain PDF-file. You can open it using the freely availabe Acrobat Reader. Normally that program already should be installed on your computer. Otherwise just download it from Adobe's web site. Perhaps the file is broken, however, something that can happen sometimes (especially when the Internet connection is slow). The size of the file should be 5.70 MB. If it is less than that, just give the download another try.

Good luck with "Latin for Beginners". Don't worry if learning Latin is difficult at first. It is worth it. Anyway, as the saying goes: "Per aspera ad astra" ("through adversity to the stars"). By the way, don't forget to download the "Answer Key" as well so that you can check your progress.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Oh thanks for the advice. I didn't have Adobe reader so once I got that, it started to work. Now my other problem is : understanding the book. I seriously cant understand what the book is trying to say. Especially the first part when they explain how to pronounce the letters. The only thing I learned so far is that Latin has all English alphabets except for ''w'' and ''j''( maybe not ''J'')

Although, I heard there was a book called ''The Everything Learning Latin Book'', and this book helps a person understand Latin on his own without a teacher. The guy called it a '' Self studying book''. I'm only 14 so I don't think Latin for beginners will help me right now. But the problem is I cant find it in the library or on Google to download it. So if you can help get my hands on it it would be great.

liabeea
Textkit Neophyte

Post by liabeea »

I am a homeschool parent who will be teaching Latin to my students this fall. I am looking for good resources and helpful teaching tools.

Many Blessings,
Lia
Many Blessings,
Lia

steffi.alexa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by steffi.alexa »

Twiglaser wrote:Oh thanks for the advice. I didn't have Adobe reader so once I got that, it started to work. Now my other problem is : understanding the book. I seriously cant understand what the book is trying to say. Especially the first part when they explain how to pronounce the letters. The only thing I learned so far is that Latin has all English alphabets except for ''w'' and ''j''( maybe not ''J'')

Although, I heard there was a book called ''The Everything Learning Latin Book'', and this book helps a person understand Latin on his own without a teacher. The guy called it a '' Self studying book''. I'm only 14 so I don't think Latin for beginners will help me right now. But the problem is I cant find it in the library or on Google to download it. So if you can help get my hands on it it would be great.
Have you tried something like Lingua Latina or books aimed at people your age, such as school texts?

Pathawi
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Pathawi »

My name's Bob, & I live in San Francisco, California, USA. I'm a bit of a polyglot—I speak English, Spanish, Thai, & Asante Twi pretty fluently, know Old English well enough to read it recreationally, & have been working on learning Cantonese (along with written Chinese) for work. (I work in community organising & social services, & there's a very large Cantonese-speaking population in my city.) I used to speak Kannada & Urdu fairly well, but haven't had any exposure in years. I'm very interested in pre-Platonic, Cynical, & Stoic philosophy, as well as in how narratives get transmitted thru & between cultures. Given the tremendous role of the Greek tradition & the Latin language in the West, I've decided to learn Greek & Latin. I'm starting with Pharr's *Homeric Greek*. I hope to finish it this year, read thru the *Iliad* in 2011, & then read the *Odyssey* while I'm on sabbatical in Hong Kong November 2011–February 2012. Given that I'm working on Chinese at the same time, I'm not going to begin work on Latin until I'm comfortable with Greek & have met all my written Chinese & spoken Cantonese learning goals. I don't know when that will be.

infini
Textkit Neophyte

Post by infini »

Hello everyone,

I am a PhD student in Philosophy, and need to brush up my ancient Greek for my research. Working with texts and dictionaries is not always enough, so I decided to look for more resources online. This forum looked very useful, and I hope it will help.

Thank you.

Twiglaser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Twiglaser »

steffi.alexa wrote:
Twiglaser wrote:Oh thanks for the advice. I didn't have Adobe reader so once I got that, it started to work. Now my other problem is : understanding the book. I seriously cant understand what the book is trying to say. Especially the first part when they explain how to pronounce the letters. The only thing I learned so far is that Latin has all English alphabets except for ''w'' and ''j''( maybe not ''J'')

Have you tried something like Lingua Latina or books aimed at people your age, such as school texts?
No I haven't. the problem is I don't know what to look for -.-. The ''Latin for dummies'', or '''the everything learning latin book'' looks kiddy enough, just cant find them.
Which is why I chose to join this forum :p

steffi.alexa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by steffi.alexa »

Twiglaser wrote:
steffi.alexa wrote: Have you tried something like Lingua Latina or books aimed at people your age, such as school texts?
No I haven't. the problem is I don't know what to look for -.-. The ''Latin for dummies'', or '''the everything learning latin book'' looks kiddy enough, just cant find them.
Which is why I chose to join this forum :p
If you're in the UK have you tried signing up with another counties' libraries? That's what I did a year or so ago and now I very rarely can't find the book I'm looking for.

Alternatively are your parents/carers willing to pay you for odd jobs and then you could buy them?