New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
argos16
Textkit Neophyte

Re: New Members Introduction Thread (New Users Post Here!)

Post by argos16 »

Hi, my name is David, and I teach Latin. I took both Greek and Latin, though my Greek is rusty. There are many Latin resources out there, but I keep seeing Textkit popping up, always with good things available. I thought it was time to join in.

kanewai
Textkit Neophyte

Post by kanewai »

Aloha from Honolulu!

I'll be starting Ancient Greek this November, and stumbled on this forum while searching for resources.

I took two years of Latin in High School (1982-84), but have only studied modern languages since then.

My plan now is to see how far Assimil's Le Grec Ancien will get me, and then to move on to other courses. It's a French-based course, and I'm not entirely sure that my French is strong enough. I'll find out soon enough.

I won't really have much time to study from other courses in the beginning - I'm trying to bring my French and Spanish up to a higher level also. This is just an intro for me; next year (fall 2013) I'll have finished Assimil (I hope) and be ready to dive in to meatier courses!

worthywoman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by worthywoman »

Hello!

It has been so long since I've been here that I cannot find my original "New Members Introduction." Just pretend that that one does not exist…

I am Lisa. I am firmly convinced the best age for a woman does not even begin until she hits her fifties - an achievement I earned a few years ago. This August, I earned my MA in Deaconess Studies, a theology degree for women within my denomination.

While I'm waiting for my placement, I'm celebrating that achievement by playing with languages. I like the way that I feel as the brain rewires itself as the different concepts within languages and cultures become my own.

I'm starting (again) with Wheelock. I did not do particularly well last time, but I did enjoy what I was learning. This time, I have a list of books I want to read as I master (a little bit) this language.

I'm also playing with a constructed language, Klingon. After all, we never know when fictitious aliens may be discovered. ;-) (I used to be a rather good at translating Klingon love poetry…)

Down the road… Both classical and koine Greek, so I can read both the literature and more common language works.

Further down the road, Hebrew and Aramaic.

This summer, my youngest nephew asked me to begin learning Japanese with him… We will see what comes with that.
Lisa S

Stephen Hill
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Stephen Hill »

Χαίρετε πάντες. I'm Stephen Hill, and I've been studying ancient Greek for about five years (sometimes formally, sometimes on my own). Currently I'm occupied with bringing my Latin up to speed.

I began learning Greek in college with Chase and Phillips' excruciatingly brief primer, and then read Freeman and Lowe's Greek Reader for Schools in my second year. After that I let my Greek slide for a while until I decided to review by way of the JACT course. Shortly after finishing that, I went to Rome for a month to study Koine as a living language with Christophe Rico. That was a revolutionary experience: at the end of the month, Greek was no longer a dead language for me; it was a language that I could try to speak or read just like Spanish or French. So I don't see why teaching and learning ancient languages should be fundamentally different than teaching and learning modern ones, and for this reason I'm especially interested in how Greek and Latin pedagogy can benefit from second language acquisition research and modern language teaching.

In Greek I'm primarily interested in Koine literature, but I enjoy reading Attic prose as well. In Latin I'm currently working on some Caesar and Cicero, but eventually I look forward to sampling the whole of Latin literature, from Augustine to Erasmus and beyond.

Keiser
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Keiser »

I am Gerard Keiser, and am hoping to study how Greek and Latin may be taught best. Unfortunately, there seems to be no empirical research on the subject whatsoever—or if there is, it is quite hard to find. But I assumed that, if there is anything, somebody here would know about it.

nedibes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by nedibes »

Greetings, all! I am assistant editor for an online scholarly classics journal, although, alas, I do not myself speak either Latin or Greek. I loved my classics courses in college enough that I attempted ancient Greek, but with abysmal results. My job means that my interest has recently been re-piqued, enough so that I will probably attempt at least Latin one of these days. In the meantime, I am learning second-hand about many of the best-practices for teaching classical languages.

I stumbled upon this site while looking for information on "So You Really Want to Learn Latin" for an upcoming article. I'm professionally interested in online resources for learners of classical languages, and also hope someone here can answer my question before the issue goes to print, as I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else. I am continually impressed by the helpfulness of the online classical community, and can see that this site is a good example of that supportiveness.

Stephen Hill
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Stephen Hill »

Gerard, I'm not aware of empirical research directly addressing ancient language pedagogy, though I would love to see some in the future. (This may be an exception: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... x/abstract.) So far, Randall Buth and others who are interested in applying modern second language acquisition research to ancient languages have proceeded by making applications where they can, assuming that languages are languages. Just because Greek and Latin have no community of native speakers doesn't mean they cannot and should not be learned like French or Spanish or Chinese. It's worth noting that the field of second language acquisition has rejected the grammar-translation method as the theory without a theory -- there is nothing in the literature that suggests it is effective as a language teaching methodology. (Beyond question, many on this forum, including myself, have profited from it in various ways -- but it teaches you about Greek or Latin rather than teaching you the languages themselves.) I suggest picking up John Gruber-Miller's edited volume "When Dead Tongues Speak" (Oxford, 2006) for more work at the intersection of Latin and Greek and modern language learning research, if that's what you're interested in.

Nedibes, I recommend the same book to you (Gruber-Miller). Also, the latin-bestpractices email list is another excellent resource (though some there may be overly fond of Krashen). As for online resources, what in particular are you looking for?

JesterxLady
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JesterxLady »

Salvete!

I'm a twenty something university student, studying a course that has nothing to do with language at all. However, when I was younger (sixteen) I completed my stage III Cambridge Latin Course. Because I left the school to go to an independant college, I never got the chance to expand my Latin skills. Unfortunately, in the years that passed I've barely looked back.

Recently though, I've felt like returning to Latin. It'd be very beneficial for me to learn as in my spare time I'm a medieval re-enactor; this means I'm in contact with Latin script a lot, but, alas, can only understand the bare minimum. Not only would it be helpful, I feel that as it is something I have started, it is something I should continue to work at; something to learn alongside my degree and enjoy as hobby between assignments.

I look forward to talking to and learning from you all!

thaleia
Textkit Neophyte

Post by thaleia »

Hello all,
I'm a third year Classics major. This is my 3rd year of Greek and 2nd of Latin. I'm planning on focusing on Greek for my thesis and whatnot, but I want to keep improving my Latin skills, even if I don't have time to take actual classes. I'm thinking about making my way through the Aeneid over winter break- does anybody have a commentary to recommend?

T

SarahMaeDee
Textkit Neophyte

Post by SarahMaeDee »

Hello, my name is Sarah! :) I am a senior in high school, and I have a passion for languages. I have taken Spanish on and off, for a total of seven years, since I was in preschool. However, I wanted to learn a language that was more challenging. Also, my plan in life is to become a college professor of Literature, so I will most likely need to know at least a minimal amount of Latin.

FredSmith1
Textkit Neophyte

Post by FredSmith1 »

Hi. I'm from Australia. I have three years Greek and 5 Latin experience. Still plenty to learn and I hope this forum can help with that.

artpro
Textkit Neophyte

Post by artpro »

Hello:

I am an artist and graphic designer with a musical background. I did not have the opportunity to study Latin in school, however certainly sang a lot of Latin text with choirs over the years. My Latin is very basic I am afraid, but I am willing to learn!

Markus63
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Markus63 »

Hello!

I"m diving back into learning Greek from ages and ages ago, I had two semesters of Greek using Hansen & Quinn and am currently reviewing that text. I am; however, thinking of studying Homeric Greek using Schoder"s Reading Course in Homeric Greek.

Having browsed around Textkit for a bit, I believe that this site will be very useful and enjoyable.

Thanks

Musicus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Musicus »

Salvete omnes! I'm a musician by day, and a wannabe Latinist by night, and I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum. Gaudete et valete!
-Musicus

holmarholm
Textkit Neophyte

Post by holmarholm »

Hello, everyone! I'm new to the board.

My name is Marius and I have been studying Latin for the past five years. I am now getting my bachelors degree in Latin. I also have a superficial interest in Greek, although my fascination with the language is constantly increasing.

I look forward to sharing my love of the Classics with you in the future!

marculus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by marculus »

Χαίρετε - salvete - hallo!
Marculus sum. In universitate Dresdensis litteris linguae Latinae et Graecae et Germanicae studeo. Me hic facultatem Latine vel Graece loquendi (Germanice iam optime loquor) emendaturum spero.

NordicMan
Textkit Neophyte

Post by NordicMan »

Hello there, Hellenophiles,

Many years ago, I became interested in Greek, particularly the NT in Greek. I found an old primer of classical Greek in a library, and spent time with that. It did not explain things so well, it was really a classroom primer, however, it was a start. I then bought Machen, and made some progress, with fits and starts. I started seminary, part time, taking elementary NT Greek. This was a splendid joy. However, I had medical bills to pay off, so left school to work, and then took care of my folks, and so my progress in really learning Greek became stunted, not having continued with a sustained progress in Greek grammar. I do read, or shall I say, plow along as well as I can in the NT and in the LXX. But I am rusty and need grammar review, that is very clear to me.

I would like to study classical Greek, on my own, as there is no one nearby that I am aware of that is interested.

While I am busy, with a family lumber business(we have two sawmills), yet, I have time to give to Greek. Having had a life in physical work(as well as business), I at times recall reading about Tenney Frank, the American Roman history professor, who felt that he understood the ancient world better, due to his having worked on a farm and in the stockyards.

I reckon that is enough introduction here now.

Kee0311
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Kee0311 »

Hey, my name is Kevin. I'm an engineering student in California. Occasionally I have the need, or desire for Latin phrases, and I don't trust online translators. This site seems like it will be invaluable.

Veteropinguis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Veteropinguis »

I'm Veteropinguis, an aspiring polymath in the American Northeast.

I'm currently in my second year of formal Greek, but I have studied several other languages in the past. I have an acceptable passive knowledge of German, French, Latin, and Spanish. Right now I'm focusing on Greek and Italian; hoping to find some time for Latin.

My lifetime goal for Greek and Latin is to read them fluently, as I do my native English. I don't expect to reach that level any time soon, but the journey is rewarding enough on its own.

ph.maertens
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ph.maertens »

Hi everybody,

Living in the south of Portugal, my area of interest is mainly in the history of religion, and in textual criticism. In order to keep up - and go further - with my Greek and Latin, I decided to join Textkit. Hope I'll learn a lot.

Cheers
Ph.maertens
Algarve

Textkit User
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Textkit User »

Hello all. I am making my first concerted effort to learn Latin with the help of the ever-so-smooth D'Ooge -- easily the best beginner's Latin book I've found.

I signed up because of the occasional questions that I can't find answers to trawling the Net, which I'm sure will be seen as embarrassingly basic to the experts here. But that is where I'm at.

jassy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jassy »

Hello, everyone! I'm from Egypt and currently studying Classical Studies at Alexandria University.
I came across this forum while I was searching for some Latin lessons, and I find it really helpful!

Cheers!

bononiensis
Textkit Neophyte

Post by bononiensis »

Hallo everybody! Salvete omnes!
I'm an Italian teacher for Latin and I'd like to learn more and at the same time to have interesting contacts with Latin fans all over the world!
Valete!

spottedhot6052
Textkit Neophyte

Post by spottedhot6052 »

Hello,everbody,
I have always had a great love for Latin and Greek.Im here to reaquint my self with Greek and Latin. Hope that we all can have some good discussions :lol:

Placidus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Placidus »

Hello all,

Happy new year!

I am from Ossonoba, Lusitania (Portugal), I have just started to learn Latin. :mrgreen:

Cheers

Placidus

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Welcome Placidus to Textkit!

Kindly,
Jeff
Textkit Founder

cogitans
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cogitans »

Hello!

My name is Daniel and I'm taking up Latin again, after an absence of several years. I would be very pleased if I could eventually read the great Roman classics without having to rely on translations. There's nothing quite like getting your hands on the original, and deciphering the hidden nuances in the text.

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salve Daniele!
Daniel wrote:I'm taking up Latin again, after an absence of several years.
Good choice (new year's resolution?). Welcome on board.

Good bye and good luck,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

Bowdoin Painter
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Bowdoin Painter »

Hello,

I'm a native Greek speaker and recently started studying ancient Greek, because I need to have direct access to the ancient world. I had some questions, so ...this is how I found my way here.

B.P.

Σαυλος
Textkit Fan

Post by Σαυλος »

εγω ειμι Σαῦλος.
διδασκω εν τη Αφρικᾳ
βουλομαι ινα αλλοι βοηθωσιν μοι γραφειν Ελληνιστι.
I will babble until I talk. ετι λαλαγω...

ukh
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ukh »

Salvete!

I'm 40+ and for the past few months I've been working on D'Ooge but turned to Wheelock (7th Ed.) since I found I really wanted a real book to flip back and forth in. My native tongue isn't English, my aptitude for language learning is dismal (I've failed for the better part of my life in acquiring French and German) but I hope that the very process of learning Latin will offer enjoyment and distraction. I've heard of many a man who has found solace in Latin poetry and while I might never reach that far, I do hope that I one day will find comfort in Virgil.

Valete!
Last edited by ukh on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

Hi Uhl and Welcome to Textkit,

I am a 40 something learner too, so I know about the string of failures that we all manage to collect through our years. Good luck learning Latin, you already know what the secret to success, which is to practice a little bit everyday.

I remember my Ancient Greek professor in college, who told me it took him 15 years before he really felt strong with Greek - strong enough to teach. He read a little everyday.

Jeff
Textkit Founder

canontriplex
Textkit Neophyte

Post by canontriplex »

Hello, I became interested in Latin a couple of years back. I started working with Weelock but then I decided to switch to Orberg as it made more sense and now I am at chapter XXXII. The journey is exhilarating and I can observe my progress, but it is slow, especially the last few chapters. I hope to speed it up with some help from this forum. By the way, English is not my native language (Serbian is).

Vin

gaius969
Textkit Neophyte

Post by gaius969 »

Hello to everyone,

I admire Spartans, so I came here to find some original quotes from them. :)

severin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by severin »

Hello to all. I am trying to learn Latin. I have been interested in doing so since I first began to read and came across my first Latin quote. From then on I could not let one go by without finding out what it meant. I have been searching for some online sources and this looked like a great place to begin. I wanted to try to download some of the manuals and texts but could not seem to find.

Ketman
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Ketman »

I originally posted this as a separate thread, not realizing there was a New Members' thread. I've deleted that post. But below is the text, re-located to where it should be. Sorry.

I used to know a little latin from schooldays, but I have forgotten most of it. But I'm interested in Shakespeare and other Elizabethan poets who quoted bits of Latin from time to time, and I'd like to be able to get help with translating some of it, usually single words, but sometimes whole phrases, proverbs, etc. I googled for a forum like this on the off-chance, but was quite surprised to find one existed. Looks like there is more interest in classical languages today than I had thought.

Caecilius
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Caecilius »

Hi there.

As is perhaps obvious from my username, I was taught Latin through the CLC for some time (and, for that matter, still think it a recommendable start for learners, even or especially over Wheelock's text). I'm still into Latin today, though my style has been reasonably unconventional in the 'schoolmaster' form, in that I can't bring myself to do all sorts of tables and such for grammar, or write lists of vocab - admittedly this is down to a certain laziness - but all the same, as a fluent speaker of French and a self-teaching beginner of Italian, soon Spanish and German, I think there are benefits for me to at least try a method of contextual reading, and less a capacity to identify every word's morphology in isolation. I hope, one day, a semi-fluency in reading will be possible for me (understandably not, say, Tacitus, but parts of Virgil, Caesar, Livy, etc.).

Glad to see the classical languages still flowering to some degree.
mirantur quidem divinam speciem, sed ut simulacrum fabre politum mirantur omnes.
- Psyche et Cupido, Lucius Apuleius

ms_spatula
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ms_spatula »

Hi everyone,

I've started to teach myself Biblical Greek using Mounce's texts, and I hope to be able to read the New Testament in Greek within 2-3 years. Like most math majors, I know the entire Greek alphabet, but not a lick of Greek. :-)

My only other exposure to the classical languages was a semester of Latin in college. Truthfully, I prefer Latin over Greek, but for many reasons, Latin's getting placed onto my endless back burner for now.

JamesEubank
Textkit Neophyte

Post by JamesEubank »

Hey, This is James
I am new here. I am from USA, I want to learn Greek because, I am a student of cultures, so need to make some researches in histories and cultures...
I hope to be well satisfied here to learn Greek.
Thanks a lot
Regards: James