Textkit Logo

(not-classics-related): my notes on gender in french nouns

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

(not-classics-related): my notes on gender in french nouns

Postby cb » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:49 pm

hi, this is not classics-related sorry, but it relates to patterns in language so i thought i'd post it here on this language board anyway. i'm slowly collecting rules for gender in french nouns which have a finite and memorisable list of exceptions (which I think are the only useful type in practice - a rule such as "98% of all words ending in [x] are masculine" doesn't let you confidently give the correct gender in any particular case), and then presenting the exceptions in a way which makes them more memorisable (font colour and shading, arrangement on the page, definitions, and in the (non-online-version) images).

this is a work in progress which i update every few days as i spot new rules or exceptions. if anyone wants to look at this and if you spot changes/additions i should make, i'd be grateful for your input. here is the link (due to image copyright, the online version has all pics removed): http://mhninaeide.webs.com/GenreVersionSansImages.pdf

many thanks, chad :)
cb
Textkit Fan

Re: (not-classics-related): my notes on gender in french nouns

Postby Auberon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Seems like the perfect place for it, Chad. Your posts are always engaging---great idea.
Given the choice between accomplishing something and just lying around, I'd rather lie around. No contest.—Eric Clapton
Auberon
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board