A strange place to find a reference to Homer

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
IreneY
Textkit Zealot

A strange place to find a reference to Homer

Post by IreneY »

Being a rather "encyclopedic" geek, among other things, I just love platform games :D Problem is, I pretty much suck at action games so I either have to play them on easy or watch my husband play and test his patience with my back-seat driving. Gives me an opportunity though, to really notice some details.

Anyway, we recently bought Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. The main character, Nathan Drake, is, as usual for game heroes, extremely talented (clever as heck, well educated, can swing from and to pretty much anything, can shoot every kind of weapon, that sort of thing). He also has a pretty good sense of humor and a very strong, if quite shady, moral code.

Imagine my surprise when on the first cut-scene, as a "easter egg" I saw written on a blackboard "πολύτλας διος Νάθαν"! With proper accentuation and everything! ;)
You can see it here, but it's about 6:25 that you can first see it clearly (feel free to skip everything before 5:50).

I'm not sure if everyone here will find it humorous and amusing, or even interesting, but I am still amazed I found a Homeric description of another multi-talented, shady character in a PS3 game!

annis
Textkit Zealot

Re: A strange place to find a reference to Homer

Post by annis »

Is there a level where all of his friends are turned into pigs? That would make things more interesting. ;)
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

IreneY
Textkit Zealot

Re: A strange place to find a reference to Homer

Post by IreneY »

Hehe! True, but then his two main companions are two beautiful and sexy ladies and that would be such a waste really :D