Textkit Logo

Interesting 15 Volume Lexicon Scanned

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

Interesting 15 Volume Lexicon Scanned

Postby aloimonon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:26 am

I admit that this lexicon is interesting to myself, and it's just possible that some members might also find it of use. I did not post this in the "Outside Links" section of the forum because the lexicon is written in Puristic Greek, and claims to span the entire unity of the Greek language from start to relatively modern times. Now, despite its 15 volumes, this is quite a tall (or impossible) order for a single lexicon set. Going by memory, Kriaras' dictionary on demotic (δημώδης) Greek of the Byzantine period is 14 volumes, so 15 volumes suddenly seem unequal to the task of covering Greek from ancient to relatively modern times. Also, the dictionary is quite useless and potentially very misleading if used as a Modern Greek lexicon. Personally, I have own only the epitome in hard copy, which spans only 1 volume, and have used it only for Puristic Greek. After some hesitation, I decided to post this here because I do recall 1-2 members expressing some interest in Puristic Greek, although I admit that I don't remember the context. Anyways,here is the link:

http://e-lexico.blogspot.com/2008/12/15.html

Some hints on the download:
a) Be patient. All the links eventually worked for me, but I really had to wait.
b) Don't use the alternative links provided in the comments, because the main links have been updated with corrections.

Personally, I had always wanted to own a copy. Perhaps 1-2 years ago, I saw a full set being sold online for 1000 Euros in an auction, and for 600 Euros in a Greek bookstore online. Both those prices are out of my reach. When I was in Athens, I only found 1 volume, and if I recall it was something like 80 Euros.

The caveats:
a) It's essentially useless for Modern Greek. A decent Modern Greek dictionary online can be found here:
http://www.komvos.edu.gr/dictionaries/d ... ineTri.htm
b) It's written in simple Puristic Greek, which is essentially Modern Greek syntax (or very similar for the most part) with Ancient Greek morphology, and also with foreign words expunged.
c) I have no idea how precise or worthwhile it is as an Ancient Greek lexicon. I use LSJ for this purpose.

Anyways, judging from the comments on the webpage, I'm not the only one who appreciates this mammoth scanning exercise. Hopefully someone here might find this useful and/or interesting.

EDIT: You can view the scanned volumes with this application:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=124501
ἀλλ' ἔγωγε ἐξ αὐτῶν τούτων μᾶλλον αὐτὸν τεθαύμακα, ὅτι ἔν τε ἀλλοκότοις καὶ ἐν ἐξαισίοις πράγμασι αὐτός τε διεγένετο καὶ τὴν ἀρχὴν διεσώσατο. Dio LXXII 36.3
aloimonon
Textkit Member

Return to Open Board