Textkit Logo

The name "Iscale"

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Moderators: thesaurus, Jeff Tirey

The name "Iscale"

Postby Jacobus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:36 pm

Hi. I’m sorry if this is not the place to ask this sort of question, but if it’s okay, I’d really like someone’s help on this. My friend is doing some research into his family from centuries ago, and has come across a name which none of us have a clue where it may have come from – does anyone know where the name “Iscale” may originate from? It’s a male name, if it doesn’t appear obvious. Also, in the handwritten form, apparently it can sometimes look like “Ascale”, too. Does anyone know where this name could come from? As far as we know so far, the vast majority of my friend's family stayed in England or Wales their whole lives, but I don't think it sounds like a Celtic name to me... although I don't claim to be an expert :]

Thank you very much for any information; all suggestions are very much appreciated both by me and my friend. I apologise if this is an inappropriate question for the forum.

Jack
Jacobus
Textkit Neophyte

Re: The name "Iscale"

Postby Einhard » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:37 am

Hey Jacobus,
I'm Irish and I've never heard of any name resembling Iscale or Ascale. I checked a book I have on Celtic names, and found nothing either. There was a St Assicus associated with St Patrick in the 5th century, but the two names seem too distinct to be related. If you had the general period when the name first appeared in the family tree, then it might be easier to trace it. Also, do descendants or antecedents of this man share a similar name? If so, that could cast some light on its provenance. Also, "Iscale" may refer not to a Christian name but to a given name. What records does it occur in, and can they be checked against others? Sorry I couldn't be more help...

Ps: Your friend doesn't have Egyptian roots at all does he? There's an early Christian martyr called St Ascalas who was born in that country.
Einhard
Textkit Member

Re: The name "Iscale"

Postby Jacobus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi Einhard,

Thank you for your reply. I have talked to my friend about the family around the name in question, and unfortunately can't tell you too much about him. What I do know, though, is written below:

He was born in Fulham, England in 1848. His name is Iscale Reffel. This is a highly unusual name, clearly, so we thought that he would be pretty easy to research. It's a bit puzzling, though, as we only even know his birth date because he appears on the 1891 census and is recorded as being 43 years old at this time. However, this is the only census he ever appears on. We think that this may have something to do with his being illegitimate - we believe that his parents were ashamed of the fact that Iscale was born out of wedlock, and so decided not to include him on the census. His parents, John and Amelia Reffel, were married in 1854. His father died in 1891 and we believe his mother to have died around 1918 or so, although we're not presently sure. Iscale's younger brothers, William and Henry (Henry being the youngest of the three brothers) are mostlyconsistently represented on the censi. Although the records of the 1861 census are not available; it's possible that they were not kept in this part of London on this occasion - maybe the results of the census were burned or something. We believe that the surname, Reffel, came from the surname Raphael. Does this help at all? By the way, Einhart, my friend does not have any Egyptian relations at all, as far as he knows. We have found some cases of the surname "Reffel" appearing in Sierra Leone, so it may be possible that he case some African blood.

Thanks you very much.

Jack

P.S - No similar names appear after this man - this man is literally just one tiny little blip we found on one census.
Jacobus
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board