Hello from NC

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.
cjmmytunes
Textkit Neophyte

Hello from NC

Post by cjmmytunes »

My name is Cindi and I live in Elizabeth City, NC. I have always wanted to learn Latin but it wasn't offered in high school or college when I was attending (many, many moons ago). My mom and I also have various medical issues and want to be able to understand what the Dr's say when they slip into "medical talk". Hopefully this will help me, and keep me from getting so frustrated at times with the medical community.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Hello from NC

Post by bedwere »

Welcome to Textkit, Cindi!

cjmmytunes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cjmmytunes »

Thank you so much for the kind welcome to the site, and so quickly.

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

Hi Cindi, No doubt there are many on-line resources, and you might find something like these useful, if you don't already know them: https://quizlet.com/759301/medical-term ... ash-cards/, or http://www.globalrph.com/medterm.htm.
Most of the terms are derived from Greek, but some from Latin. If you post queries on the language forums here on Textkit you’re sure to get answers.

The Athenian general Nicias, who led Athens’ disastrous military expedition against Syracuse in the 5th cent. BC, suffered from nephritis, inflammation of the kidneys (νεφρ- kidneys) ... but he didn't die of it.

cjmmytunes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cjmmytunes »

Thank you for the tips. I'll check them out.

RandyGibbons
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by RandyGibbons »

Cindi,

Dunmore and Fleischer's Medical Terminology: Exercises in Etymology (Edition III) is an excellent text, if you're willing to shell out for a printed book and depending on how methodical and thorough a study you intend. It has twenty lessons divided into five units: Greek-Derived Medical Terminology; Latin-Derived Medical Terminology; Body Systems; Additional Study (hematopoietic, lymphatic, musculoskeletal, nervous, and endocrine systems); Biological Nomenclature. Each lesson has exercises.

Note, as msw says, that the etymology of medical terms is predominantly Greek, not Latin.

Randy Gibbons

cjmmytunes
Textkit Neophyte

Post by cjmmytunes »

Randy, thanks for the link. I'll check it out this evening and decide if it's worth it.