Textkit Logo

Iliad and Odyssey Kickstarter by Ioannis Stratakis

Textkit is a learning community- introduce yourself here. Use the Open Board to introduce yourself, chat about off-topic issues and get to know each other.

Iliad and Odyssey Kickstarter by Ioannis Stratakis

Postby Nathanial » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:08 am

Listening to audio is, as I understand it, one of the most efficient means of learning a language. But unfortunately, there is a serious lack of Ancient Greek audio available. Ionnis Stratakis of Podium-Arts has provided some great material but to me the cost is unreasonable when compared to other audiobooks. Many albums, operas, dramas and audiobooks can be found on DVD or CD for less than £10 per hour audio; a fraction of the cost of the current available audio files.

So, what I am suggesting is that a kickstarter is created so that Mr Stratakis can be encouraged to produce the whole Iliad and Odyssey, before progressing to other works. The details can be fleshed out later. One this is completed, I am sure someone somewhere is capable of recording further works of Ancient Greek, particularly Plato`s dialogues.

p.s. This is Ionnis Stratakis` best shot at immortality. Don`t delay!
Nathanial
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Iliad and Odyssey Kickstarter by Ioannis Stratakis

Postby akalovid » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:48 pm

I wholeheartedly support Mr Stratakis. We should supply a link to show people what we are talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvVWiDsPWQ -starts a t0:51

One reason why it’s so important to support him is that he sounds good to the Greek ear as well. As a native speaker of Modern Greek I have known for some time about the inadequacies of Modern Greek pronounciation when it comes to Homer. But many other renditions sounded just stilted to me. He is magnificent!
akalovid
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Timothée » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:29 pm

Stratakis is exquisite. There are many other Textkit members, as well, who are quite fond of his readings. I first found him when it chanced that I saw and listened to his Hippocratic Oath video on Youtube. Splendid.

I think the biggest problem for many who reconstruct and record Ancient Greek (and Latin) is that they concentrate so much on the pronunciation that they forget to think what the text they are reading actually means. In other words the command of these languages (Greek, Latin) should be such—or at the very least the text should be that familiar—that they know at all times what the text is saying. Doing this they automatically add appropriate intonation and other suprasegmentals, which paces the text in a natural way. (Whether this is actually how the ancients uttered their language cannot be known and is in fact irrelevant.)

However, I’m quite suspicious of what relevancy the fact that he sounds good to native Modern Greek ears bears. I don’t think this is of any especial importance, and is mostly due to the fact that he’s a Greek. This thought must be based on some romantic ideas that modern languages (such as Modern Irish, Italian, and Greek) have a faint echo of the ancient ancestral language from across millennia within them.

I admit being guilty of this thought myself, and doubt that it is perilous as long as one is aware of this oneself. Modern Greek is obviously a descendant of the Ancient Greek, but the development has been immense. Moreover, what can deceive listeners is that native Modern Greek speaker won’t have have French/German/English/Italian etc. accent in their pronunciation. They will have Modern Greek accent, and this is why it sounds good to Modern Greeks.

But Stratakis is excellent also to non-Greek ears.
Timothée
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby akalovid » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:50 pm

Ok. Perhaps I should not answer this and thereby incur the wrath of my compatriots.

PERSONAL OPINION ALERT
The reason why I PERSONALLY find it very important to appeal to Greek ears, is that the Greek dislike of most other accents (along with practical and political reasons at the time of official introduction of δημοτική, which have now become less important) has led us Greeks to use modern accent in school. This I PERSONALLY would like to see change because the way I was taught in school completely destroys the meter.

Of course there are some texts where this is not so much of a pity.
akalovid
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Open Board