Greek/Roman "Object of the Day"?

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Greek/Roman "Object of the Day"?

Post by Carolus Raeticus »

Salvete!

I was wondering whether there is online some sort of "Object of the Day" (or week or month) for Greek/Roman antiquity? Perhaps by some museum or other, presenting an object (image), describing and explaining it, perhaps putting it into a wider context.

Valete,

Carolus Raeticus
Sperate miseri, cavete felices.

bedwere
Global Moderator

Re: Greek/Roman "Object of the Day"?

Post by bedwere »

These portals have selected pictures which, I assume, regularly change.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Ancient_Rome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portal:Ancient_Greece

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

No, those are mostly pointers to Wikipedia-articles, with little information about the object itself. I was thinking along the lines of the following: Something along this line would be very interesting.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

You might try Rogue Classicism or something like that. That said, I'm sure we could work something out here at text-kit. I could easily generate a 12 object list, with write-up and bibliography. It could be launched via this subforum next month/2017. A 52 list would be more difficult, but I'm sure we could manage that together.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

Salve scribo,
Scribo wrote:That said, I'm sure we could work something out here at text-kit. I could easily generate a 12 object list, with write-up and bibliography. It could be launched via this subforum next month/2017. A 52 list would be more difficult, but I'm sure we could manage that together.
Unfortunately I am not well-versed enough to contribute original content. However, I could supply transcriptions of entries from Anthony Rich's Illustrated companion to the Latin dictionary, and Greek lexicon (1849, Archive.org) which pretty much fits the bill, I guess. One would have to preselect the entries to be used, of course, because it does not make much sense to just take them as they come (alphabetically). The Classed Index at the end of the book might be used for that purpose. I could add links to additional information on the internet.

Any idea concerning the selection of the objects?

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Carolus Raeticus wrote:Salve scribo,
Scribo wrote:That said, I'm sure we could work something out here at text-kit. I could easily generate a 12 object list, with write-up and bibliography. It could be launched via this subforum next month/2017. A 52 list would be more difficult, but I'm sure we could manage that together.
Unfortunately I am not well-versed enough to contribute original content. However, I could supply transcriptions of entries from Anthony Rich's Illustrated companion to the Latin dictionary, and Greek lexicon (1849, Archive.org) which pretty much fits the bill, I guess. One would have to preselect the entries to be used, of course, because it does not make much sense to just take them as they come (alphabetically). The Classed Index at the end of the book might be used for that purpose. I could add links to additional information on the internet.

Any idea concerning the selection of the objects?

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus
Salve Carole,

Sorry for the late response, I had somewhat forgot about checking the thread. So far, my list is mainly things I don't want to include. Obvious, boring, things like the Antikythera mechanism. I'm also eschewing things that would only be of interest to people knee deep in textual matters. I'd like to include a Roman eagle (like the late Roman one made of lapis lazuli), I have one or two MSS in mind. The Mycenaean "Warrior Vase" should be included, it's reasonably famous and easy to talk about whilst not being as obvious as, say, the Fracois Krater or the Chiggi vase. One or two things I'm not so sure about being allowed to post images, like the Hellenistic Crocodile cuirass from the BM. Although I am sure I have a picture I took laying about somewhere.

I feel that each object should be interesting both in and of itself but also as something reflective of broader Greco-Roman culture. Each should be accessible but not the same tired choices. That said, we ought not to overthink such things. We're pretty casual around here and I like that. Everyone should be happy to pile in and throw ideas around.

Vale.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

Carolus Raeticus
Textkit Enthusiast

What about the Vatican Virgil. It is Late Antiquity, of course, but it shows how ancient manuscripts looked like. It represents transmission of texts. And considering how often it is cited in Anthony Rich's Illustrated Companion it gives a glimpse of how the ancient world looked like. Images of it are available on the Internet.

As for showing the images directly in Texkit, I do not know what the copyright related Textkit-guidelines are (or those of the respective "provider" of the picture). Can we simply show the image, or do we need to provide some copyright text? One could simply provide a link to the picture (without displaying it in the post), of course, if no public domain image can be found. But that is not the optimal solution, of course.

I would also like to know how many hyperlinks can be put into a post.

Vale,

Carolus Raeticus