Re: Ancient execution: 80 shackled skeletons found in Greek

Post by Kakikello »

For those who don't want to click any RT.com link

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/shack ... -1.3703346

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

I take this to show execution by Athenian apotympanismos. Evidently Athenian citizens were not exempt, as they are sometimes said to have been, though this method of execution was probably inflicted only in exceptional political circumstances. It avoided the pollution of bloodshed (hence no nails), and so was much nastier than Roman crucifixion: death came more slowly and was more agonizing. Jesus had it easy, as did Socrates.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

mwh wrote:I take this to show execution by Athenian apotympanismos. Evidently Athenian citizens were not exempt, as they are sometimes said to have been, though this method of execution was probably inflicted only in exceptional political circumstances. It avoided the pollution of bloodshed (hence no nails), and so was much nastier than Roman crucifixion: death came more slowly and was more agonizing. Jesus had it easy, as did Socrates.
Not having met the term I did a search and came up with a reference in Greek Law in Its Political Setting: Justifications Not Justice (pp 81-2). Not only does it seem that citizens were not exempt but it was the punishment meted out for theft.
λονδον

mwh
Textkit Zealot

Post by mwh »

A little more on this gruesome discovery: https://vslmblog.com/2018/01/09/shackle ... ebel-army/. The exceptional method of execution does look to have been apotympanismos (which was certainly not the usual punishment for theft, pace daivid’s source). Anyone have any more recent info?