because the barbarians require it

daivid
Administrator

because the barbarians require it

Post by daivid »

I encounterd the phrase "because the barbarians require it" being used to describe people defending an action which they knew to be stupid but which they considered essential to ensure some others would agree to do something they did consider important.

It sounds like a quote from a classical author. Does anyone recognize it?
λονδον

anphph
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: because the barbarians require it

Post by anphph »

Maybe this?

Cavafy's Waiting for the Barbarians

Shenoute
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Shenoute »

Or this?
Cicero, Pro Milone XI, 30 wrote:Sin hoc et ratio doctis, et necessitas barbaris, et mos gentibus, et feris etiam beluis natura ipsa praescripsit, - ut omnem semper uim, quacumque ope possent, a corpore, a capite, a uita sua propulsarent, - non potestis hoc facinus improbum iudicare, quin simul iudicetis omnibus, qui in latrones inciderint, aut illorum telis aut uestris sententiis esse pereundum.

daivid
Administrator

Post by daivid »

MiguelM wrote:Maybe this?

Cavafy's Waiting for the Barbarians
It does seem to catch the rough sense of the quote - maybe Cavafry was inspired to write his poam from some original quote. Or maybe I am wrong to assume that the person who I remember using the phrase was actually quoting anyone.
Shenoute wrote:Or this?
Cicero, Pro Milone XI, 30 wrote:Sin hoc et ratio doctis, et necessitas barbaris, .
Cicero wrote: But if both reason has taught this lesson to learned men, and necessity to barbarians, and custom to all nations, and nature itself to the beasts, that they are at all times to repel all violence by whatever means they can from their persons, from their liberties, and from their lives, then you cannot decide this action to have been wrong, without deciding at the same time that all men who fall among thieves must perish, either by their weapons, or by your sentence.
I can't read Latin but I assume that that is the correct translation. It seems to me that Cicero is saying something quite different rather than "we" are doing some stupid because the barbarians require it that the barbarians are doing the same thing as everyone else but merely from necessity.
λονδον