Textkit Logo

Strange helping verbs in Latin

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Strange helping verbs in Latin

Postby galen697 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:23 pm

How would one say "intended", as in "The house looked like it was intended to be left alone"? Gratias

"Domus videtur quasi... reliqui"
galen697
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Strange helping verbs in Latin

Postby Lucus Eques » Wed May 27, 2009 3:49 pm

galen697 wrote:How would one say "intended", as in "The house looked like it was intended to be left alone"? Gratias

"Domus videtur quasi... reliqui"

That's a neat question.

I would say,

Domus videbatur ut ii qui ibi viverent eam voluerint insontem.

Domus videbatur [vel]ut melius esset non eam disturbare.

Domus videbatur velut melius foret ne eam disturbarem.

Domus mihi videbatur non disturbanda.

I can explain any of those constructions if they are unfamiliar. But the gerundive (the last one) is probably signifies what you are looking for most precisely.
Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Postby galen697 » Wed May 27, 2009 5:13 pm

I like the last one- nice and concise, and on a level that my 10th graders can grasp.

They've been reading fragments of Vergil to get them ready for AP Latin next year, and for their last project of the year they're choosing one of the many unresolved scenes from the Aeneid and composing a 15-25 line "conclusion" to it. The student in question is trying to explain what happened to Creusa after she fell behind in book 2 and has her walking into a trap.
galen697
Textkit Neophyte

Postby adrianus » Wed May 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Pro "The house looked like it was intended to be left alone", dicam hoc
Quasi (seu "ita ut" seu "tanquam") constitutum (seu "statutum" seu "propositum" seu "intentum" seu "designatum") erat eam praetermittendam esse, domus talem faciem representavit (seu "domus talem speciem praebuit").
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin