Textkit Logo

Scansion help

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Scansion help

Postby Nooj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:48 pm

Here's the first line of Catullus' 85:

Odi et amo. Quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?

The line above is in dactylic hexameter. My question is about the first two feet; how can I tell whether it is spondee-dactyl or dactyl-spondee? When I try sounding it out, it sounds more 'right' to have a dactyl and then a spondee, but I can't really tell you why - is there any rule that could help me out here?
Dolor poetas creat.
Nooj
Textkit Member

Re: Scansion help

Postby modus.irrealis » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:25 pm

Unless I'm missing something it has to be dactyl - spondee since you it's ōd' et a mō. quā ...

I don't see how to get a spondee in the first foot -- if you don't elide the i of odi the next syllable will be short, which can't happen. So your intuition is right. When you're having doubts, though, I find the best thing is just to mark all the long vowels and divide up the line -- I've never come across a line that could be scanned in two different ways.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Nooj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:35 pm

modus.irrealis wrote:I don't see how to get a spondee in the first foot -- if you don't elide the i of odi the next syllable will be short, which can't happen.
Is it not possible to elide the i of odi and still have a spondee? ala ōd' ēt ā mǎ. quǎ

I must have missed something really obvious...
Dolor poetas creat.
Nooj
Textkit Member

Postby modus.irrealis » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 pm

The e of et, though, is short, and since the following word begins with a vowel it can't be "long by position" either. So the first two syllables are long - short and therefore the next one has to be short, so you get a dactyl.
modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Postby Nooj » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:04 pm

modus.irrealis wrote:The e of et, though, is short
Ah. I didn't know that. I never put a serious effort into learning the quantities of words, I should really do that.

modus.irrealis wrote:and since the following word begins with a vowel it can't be "long by position" either. So the first two syllables are long - short and therefore the next one has to be short, so you get a dactyl.
Thank you very much for your quick response.
Dolor poetas creat.
Nooj
Textkit Member

Return to Learning Latin