apologies but a quick translation needed!! please!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
antlendon
Textkit Neophyte

apologies but a quick translation needed!! please!

Post by antlendon »

apologies for this, however i believe i need a quick translation?

words and correct word order required:

" worthy of praise "

this is to be used as a statement, not part of a sentence.

If possible, please could someone / anyone help with translating this into the correct words and word order for both greek and latin?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: apologies but a quick translation needed!! please!

Post by thesaurus »

antlendon wrote:apologies for this, however i believe i need a quick translation?

words and correct word order required:

" worthy of praise "

this is to be used as a statement, not part of a sentence.

If possible, please could someone / anyone help with translating this into the correct words and word order for both greek and latin?

Thank you very much for any help in advance!
I don't know about Greek, but for Latin I'd say "Laude Dignus." This can equally be "Dignus laude," the word order doesn't really matter, though I'd prefer the first. Also, "dignus" could also be digna, dignae, dignum, or digni depending on the context of how many people/thigns it applies to and their gender. Dignus would apply to a man, digna a woman, and dignum to something abstract or in general.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

Imber Ranae
Textkit Member

Post by Imber Ranae »

worthy of praise
praiseworthy

laude dignus,-a,-um
laudabilis,-e

ἐπαίνου ἄξιος,-ία,-ιον
ἐπαινετός,-ή,-όν
Ex mala malo
bono malo uesci
quam ex bona malo
malo malo malo.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Also/et "worthy of praise" = "laudandus" (for a man/pro viro), "laudanda" (for a woman/pro muliere), "laudandum" (for a thing/pro re)
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.