"quod + subjunctive" construction

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
medbh4805
Textkit Neophyte

"quod + subjunctive" construction

Post by medbh4805 »

I'm curious to know about this, as it appears in the Vulgate but not is not mentioned in any textbook I have

Genesis 1:10

Et vidit Deus quod esset bonum

I know this translates as "and God saw that it was good." But why is the second clause in the subjuctive? Is there a type of clause that requires this construction?

thanks for any help

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: "quod + subjunctive" construction

Post by adrianus »

Salve medbh4805

"And God saw to it that it should be good" as one might translate possibly, I think/sic anglicè convertas, ut opinor

"Quod" takes the active voice to introduce a fact and the subjunctive to introduce a statement from the author's perspective. A&G §540,N1.
Servit "quod" et activo et subjunctivo modo, activo ut detur factum et subjunctivo ut ê mente auctoris praedicatio.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

When quod is used to introduce indirect discourse, it usually takes the subjunctive. See the page at http://books.google.ca/books?id=ReCp978 ... 48&lpg=PA4 for example. I think that's all that's occurring here.

medbh4805
Textkit Neophyte

Post by medbh4805 »

Thanks

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

Note that this is a very common construction in Later/Church Latin, used instead of the more classical construction of reported speech, which uses an accusative+infinitive. You'll see it a lot in the Vulgate.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute