Please Help!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ah6481
Textkit Neophyte

Please Help!

Post by ah6481 »

Hello Everyone,
My name is Alan. I was in a very bad motorcycle accident in June that I am still recovering from. In this period of healing, my faith has greatly increased. I want to get a Bible verse and a motto tattooed on my arms to always remind me that He is the reason that I'm going to make it through this. Some of the first Bibles were written in Latin, so it made good sense for my tattoos to be in Latin as well. Unfortunately, I only speak English and a little French. I have already researched several sites and forums, I just want to double check one last time, because tattoos are forever. The verse is as follows: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." The translation I have is: "Omnia facere possum per Christum qui me firmat". The motto goes like this: "Strength Through Perseverance" The translation I have is: "Vires Per Constantiam" If anyone could please double check these for me, I would greatly appreciate it. These markings will mean a lot to me as they illustrate my overcoming of the darkest times of my life. So it is very important that I get this right. Thank you in advance for your help in this matter. -Alan.

Rhodopeius
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Please Help!

Post by Rhodopeius »

They seem fine to me. But is the verse from the Bible? If so, you can look it up in the Latin Vulgate Bible online at www.thelatinlibrary.com.
Scott Sumrall. http://classicsexercises.blogspot.com

"Qui sis, non unde natus sis reputa."

Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: Please Help!

Post by Kasper »

ah6481 wrote: Some of the first Bibles were written in Latin, so it made good sense for my tattoos to be in Latin as well.
Hmm.. i am anything but an expert on this, but wouldn't you say that the 'first' old testament(s) were written in Hebrew or Aramaic and the first new testaments in Greek? Latin is only a translation, and can't really be regarded as superior to a French, German or English translation for that matter...
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”