The 3rd declension

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
canderson
Textkit Neophyte

The 3rd declension

Post by canderson »

I am beginning to learn Latin and now I'm on chapter where we are learning about the 3rd declension, such as ovis and canis. Is there a certain way to remember the different cases for this declension?

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: The 3rd declension

Post by paulusnb »

Repetition is the mother of memory. That said, accusative sing. often ends with m (except when it does not) and acc. pl often ends -s (except when it does not). Ablatives usually have long vowel endings.

Repetition is the mother of memory. Write the charts dozens of times and then you never have to fret again. :D
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Superavi
Textkit Neophyte

Re: The 3rd declension

Post by Superavi »

I agree with paul. You just need to repeat, repeat, repeat. Write them down many times, say them out loud, and you can also make a flashcard with something like: 3rd decl. m/f (on one side); all the case endings (on the other). The more ways you try to come at the problem, the more ways your brain will have to think about it, and the greater it will stick. Mnemonic devises are always easy ways to remember things (if you can come up with a good one), but the 3rd decl. has three different ways it can be declined depending on m/f, n., or i-stem, and I think that would just be too much.