Recommended Dictionary?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jeffd
Textkit Neophyte

Recommended Dictionary?

Post by jeffd »

I am looking for a dictionary that would help me to convert to and from Latin and English. I am at a very basic level, but want something that would generally useful as well. I have seen the Oxford Pocket dictionary and it seems not the best due to its size.

About $20 CDN is my general maximum for this.

Any ideas?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Recommended Dictionary?

Post by adrianus »

I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

stephen132
Textkit Neophyte

Post by stephen132 »

Does the Cassel's dictionary indicate pronunciation? Does any Latin dictionary? Especially as relates to stress accent.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

"Click to look inside!" says the site above, stephen123. The vowel lengths are given for you to calculate the accent yourself, following the established rules. And welcome to you both, stephen & jeffd.

Ait situs suprà citatus, "Globulum deprime ut videas intrá!" Longitudines vocalium dantur, ut tu ipse secundùm regulas illas in omne verbo positionem accentûs calcules. Et gratus vester adventus, stephane123 jeffdque.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

I have Cassell's. It is good. 9 times out of 10, though, I find myself using the Words program or the Bantam New College Dictionary (light and paperback). Oxford has a large print dictionary that my eyes would love to own.
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

loqu
Textkit Neophyte

Post by loqu »

paulusnb wrote:I have Cassell's. It is good. 9 times out of 10, though, I find myself using the Words program or the Bantam New College Dictionary (light and paperback). Oxford has a large print dictionary that my eyes would love to own.
http://www.amazon.com/Bantam-College-En ... 164&sr=8-1

is this the one you're talking about? So you mean it's a good one? I'm thinking of buying it, I need a Latin dictionary that isn't very big but that is good enough for a beginner like me (I've just finished the 1st part of Lingua Latina by Orberg). And Latin-Spanish dictionaries are usually expensive.

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Is it good? It works. John Traupman edited this version. He has written a few textbooks, some on Latin conversation. Does it replace the Oxford Latin Dictionary (200 version). No. I have been studying Latin for 10 years and still have not purchased that jewel. I should have bought it ten years ago when Mommy was paying for textbooks. Oh well.

But for six dollars, buy it. It is like an appetizer. You eat it while you think about what you are going to eat. I buy them for my classes. At six bucks, who cares if the students lose them or write magister amat pueros parvos in them. :lol:
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift