Textkit Logo

Come to the point

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Come to the point

Postby Kasper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 am

Salvete omnes,

I am looking for a translation of the expression "to come to the point". I could translate it literally, but doubt it would make sense in latin. Any ideas?

Cheers,
K
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: Come to the point

Postby adrianus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

Salve Kasper
"Ad rem venire", dicam.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby thesaurus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm

adrianus wrote:Salve Kasper
"Ad rem venire", dicam.

I don't have any examples on hand, but I can confirm I've seen this formulation in a variety of texts. "sed ad rem revertamur" is often used after a digression. I also found "ad propositum reverti, redire---to come back to the point," and "ad rem redire---to come back to the point," on this website: http://www.informalmusic.com/latinsoc/phrase.html
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kasper » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Many thanks to both of you!!
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin