Textkit Logo

Come to the point

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.

Moderator: thesaurus

Come to the point

Postby Kasper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:05 am

Salvete omnes,

I am looking for a translation of the expression "to come to the point". I could translate it literally, but doubt it would make sense in latin. Any ideas?

Cheers,
K
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Re: Come to the point

Postby adrianus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:55 am

Salve Kasper
"Ad rem venire", dicam.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Postby thesaurus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:42 pm

adrianus wrote:Salve Kasper
"Ad rem venire", dicam.

I don't have any examples on hand, but I can confirm I've seen this formulation in a variety of texts. "sed ad rem revertamur" is often used after a digression. I also found "ad propositum reverti, redire---to come back to the point," and "ad rem redire---to come back to the point," on this website: http://www.informalmusic.com/latinsoc/phrase.html
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby Kasper » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Many thanks to both of you!!
“Cum ego verbo utar,” Humpty Dumpty dixit voce contempta, “indicat illud quod optem – nec plus nec minus.”
“Est tamen rogatio” dixit Alice, “an efficere verba tot res indicare possis.”
“Rogatio est, “Humpty Dumpty responsit, “quae fiat magister – id cunctum est.”
Kasper
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin