about "quo"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

about "quo"

Post by Junya »

Domine Jesu, in unione istius intentionis et amoris,
quo tu laudes Deo Patri persolvisti,
has tibi horas offero et persolvo.

Hi.
I'm vague with "quo". So please explain about this word.

1. In the above sentence, "quo" is used as a relative pronoun, or as a simple adverb?

<<questions apart from the above quoted sentence.>>
2.What is the difference between "quo" and "qua" as adverbs? Are they interchangeable any time?

3.Can "quo" be considered as a short form of "eo quod"?

4. "quo" and "qua" as adverbs are used with no regard to antecedents? I mean, they are originally relative pronouns, and as relative pronouns they need to agree in the case and number and gender with antecedents. But do "quo" and "qua" as simple adverbs need this agreement?

<<Questions apart from "quo" and "qua".>>
4. In the above sentence, if "quo" is a relative pronoun

4-1. is it masculine and taking "amor" as the antecedent? (love by which you paid back the praise to God the Father thouroughly)

4-2. or is it neuter and taking "ista intentio et amor" as the antecedent? I think I remember the mixing of gender of two or more words is treated as one neuter word.

5. The "ista" (istius intentionis et amoris) is apparently modifying "intentio", but really in the meaning modifying "intentio et amor"?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: about "quo"

Post by adrianus »

Salve Junya amice
Adverb [but in a proper sense dative or ablative of qui, says L&S]. Note the following. Adverbium est. Nota ità.
Lord Jesus, in the union of intention and love of that one to whom [see Lewis & Short], God the Father, you (yourself, Jesus) duly rendered praises, I offer and duly render these hours.
Lewis & Short about quō , adv. [prop. dat. or abl. of qui] wrote:—Of persons, to whom: dabo parasitum inanem, quo recondas reliquias, Plaut. Stich. 1, 3, 79 : quo illae nubent? id. Aul. 3, 5, 13 : quo lubeat, nubant, id. ib. : hominem beatum, quo illae pervenibunt divitiae! Pompon. ap. Non. 508, 6: homo apud eos, quo se contulit, gratiosus, Cic. Verr. 2, 4, 18, § 38—
Adverbs "quò" "quà" don't agree with anything, but I suspect words are implied "in a proper sense" (if you can have it both ways, as L&S seem to want —"prop." = "properly"). Indeclinabilia sunt.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Junya
Textkit Enthusiast

Re: about "quo"

Post by Junya »

Hi, adrianus. I'm glad I can communicate with you again. :D

"To whom" was not there in my dictionaries as one of the meanings of "quo". I'll look now into the Lewis and Short at Perseus. I always refrain from seeing it because the example sentences are without translation, though.