Roman Hand movements

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Roman Hand movements

Post by paulusnb »

I was wondering, besides the thumbs thing for gladiatorial combat, do we know anything about Roman body language? I remember right hands being shaken in Lingua Latina II, but I cannot think of anything else. Someone asked me the other day and I am stumped. Did the Romans raise the fig like the Italians? Did they ward off the evil eye with the Satan Horns (pinky and pointer extended)?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

quendidil
Textkit Member

Re: Roman Hand movements

Post by quendidil »

According to Wikipedia, the Greeks and Romans used "the finger".

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Interesting. I have never heard this. I had heard of using the thumb between the middle finger and the ring finger. Anyone know anything about salutes? Would it be Hitler-like or Patton-like?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift

Scribo
Global Moderator

Post by Scribo »

Romans shook hands by grasping the forearms. Likewise the Hitler/Nazi salute is from the legions.
(Occasionally) Working on the following tutorials:

(P)Aristotle, Theophrastus and Peripatetic Greek
Intro Greek Poetry
Latin Historical Prose

paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Post by paulusnb »

Scribo. Thanks. Do you know the sources for this?