Textkit Logo

Roman Hand movements

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Roman Hand movements

Postby paulusnb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 pm

I was wondering, besides the thumbs thing for gladiatorial combat, do we know anything about Roman body language? I remember right hands being shaken in Lingua Latina II, but I cannot think of anything else. Someone asked me the other day and I am stumped. Did the Romans raise the fig like the Italians? Did they ward off the evil eye with the Satan Horns (pinky and pointer extended)?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: Roman Hand movements

Postby quendidil » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:04 am

According to Wikipedia, the Greeks and Romans used "the finger".
quendidil
Textkit Member

Postby paulusnb » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 pm

Interesting. I have never heard this. I had heard of using the thumb between the middle finger and the ring finger. Anyone know anything about salutes? Would it be Hitler-like or Patton-like?
When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him. ~Swift
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Postby Scribo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:34 am

Romans shook hands by grasping the forearms. Likewise the Hitler/Nazi salute is from the legions.
Scribo
Textkit Zealot

Postby paulusnb » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Scribo. Thanks. Do you know the sources for this?
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin