hii , please i need an urgent help , i'll get mad

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Nehad Salah Maaty
Textkit Neophyte

hii , please i need an urgent help , i'll get mad

Post by Nehad Salah Maaty »

:( :( :( :( hiii everyone
please I need a help
this latin sentence i need to translate it
in the same time i want to be aware of the latin grammar or parsing and in the same time i want it to make a sense in english

:

summa ducum, Atrides, visa Priameide fertur
Maenadis effusis obstipuisse comis

O Agamemnon (son of Atreus ),the top of the leaders ( the highest leader), with the daughter of Priam (Cassandra) having been seen, is said to have been struck dumb at the flowing hair of the Maenad.

visa : i think that it's p.p.p from v. video , videre , vidi , visum
so i don't know how to put this participle in a good english sentence meaning (the seen cansandra ) can i say the seen casandra ? is it right in english ?
and is it right to say : having been seen ???
but he put with the daughter before having been seen , but is it correst ???? :S:S please help :S :roll:

here's also another translation :

O Agamemnon (son of Atreus ),the top of the leaders ( the highest leader),is said ( i think it's said is better ) when he saw casandra to be astounded by the Bacchante hair which had been poured

but this one is also wrong as i can't say when he saw casandra to be astounded

but ?? hmmm.., don't know :S please help
???
thanks in advance
Nehad

Nehad Salah Maaty
Textkit Neophyte

Re: hii , please i need an urgent help , i'll get mad

heeeyyy... can I say
:

O Agamemnon (the son of Atreus ) the top of the leaders (he highest leader ) it's said that when he saw casandra , he was astounded by he Bacchante flowing hair

is this ok ???

-------

can i say : the seen casandra ???
( i want to mean casandra whom he saw )

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve Nehad
What you have seems good to me.
Bonum quod habes, ut mihi videtur.
When Atrides, the greatest of lords, saw Priameis, it is said that he was amazed by the flowing hair of the Maenad [Bacchanalian priestess].

Atrides, the greatest/highest of lords, Priameis [Priam's daughter, Cassandra] having been seen, is said [fertur = it/he is spoken of] to have been amazed by the loosened [flowing/tumbling/cascading] hair of the Maenad [Bacchanalian priestess].
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Nehad Salah Maaty
Textkit Neophyte

Salve Adrianus :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
thank you soooooo soooooo much ^_^
:D ^_^ thank you
with all my regards ,
Nehad :)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

No problem, Nehad. Libenter, Nehad.
You can also say "when Priameis was seen" or "once Priameis was seen" for "visâ Priameide" in English ( "with Priameis having been seen", as you said above, is a literal translation but unnatural sounding).
Pro "visâ Priameide" etiam anglicè "when Priameis was seen" dicere potes.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.

Nehad Salah Maaty
Textkit Neophyte

So , Is this ok :
" Atrides , the highest leader , when Priameis was seen , it's said to have been astounded (amazed) by the flowing hair of the Maenad (Bacchanalian ) "
????

And now , I have another question :

* inpulit ignavum formosae cura puellae "

the care for a beautiful girl striked the lazy man and ordered to serve in her own camp.

My care for a beautiful girl drove lazy me on and ordered me to earn my pay in her camp.

which one is more right ?

Thank you so so so much :) :D
sincerely ,
Nehad

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Nehad Salah Maaty wrote:So , Is this ok :
" Atrides , the highest leader , when Priameis was seen , it's said to have been astounded (amazed) by the flowing hair of the Maenad (Bacchanalian ) "
????
Not perfectly. Say either:
Atrides, the highest leader, when Priameis was seen, is said to have been astounded (amazed) by the flowing hair of the Maenad (Bacchanalian )
or
Atrides, the highest leader, when Priameis was seen, it's said, was astounded (amazed) by the flowing hair of the Maenad (Bacchanalian )
or
It's said that Atrides, the highest leader, when Priameis was seen, was astounded (amazed) by the flowing hair of the Maenad (Bacchanalian )
Ecce situm quem amabis: http://46856.blogspot.com/2005/06/ovid.html
http://46856.blogspot.com/2005/06/ovid.html wrote:Inpulit ignavum formosae cura puellae stirred into action by lover for mistress.
Love for a lovely girl soon drove the idler

Iussit et in castris aera merere suis. a soldier's pay
and ordered him off to earn his pay in camp.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Nehad Salah Maaty wrote:* inpulit ignavum formosae cura puellae "

the care for a beautiful girl striked the lazy man and ordered to serve in her own camp.
My care for a beautiful girl drove lazy me on and ordered me to earn my pay in her camp.
which one is more right ?
care for a beautiful girl struck/drove the lazy man and ordered/demanded [that he earn] to earn [his] pay in his [military] camp or (nicely) in camp suis = with his friends/men/buddies.