Textkit Logo

Is this right???

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Is this right???

Postby Spade » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Salvete,
I have been looking for this translation for a few years for a tattoo and I was just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with the translation/punctuation. In latin it's "in manus tuas commendo spiritum meum" and I'm pretty sure it says "Into Your hands, I entrust my spirit" but I'm not sure and like I said it's for a tattoo. I don't want to find out AFTER I get it done that it's wrong. Any help help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I am on deployment to the Middle East and internet connectivity is not always available so I don't know how often I will be able to check this posts for replies. If you would be willing to email me any help I would really appreciate it. My email is Noltecl@ddg87.navy.mil Again thank you in advance for any help.
Spade
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Is this right???

Postby adrianus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:42 pm

It does say that, Spade (last words of Christ in the Bible). "Into Your hands, I entrust my spirit" in English is perfect (and "commit" for "entrust" is good, too).
Ità, Pala. Id dicit. Sunt verba Christi ultima ante mortuum eum e Bibliâ Sacrâ. Dictiones anglicè perbonae sunt.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.
adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Return to Learning Latin