Latin qoute help

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
AynRandFan
Textkit Neophyte

Latin qoute help

Post by AynRandFan »

Hello everyone!

I have the idea for a Latin sentence as a part of a tattoo, so I'm searching every posible option known to me in order to get the right translation.

The phrase is: "It's later than you think". I have been given the answers "Sero plus ut putes" or "Sero plus ut credas". I also was answered "Tardior quam cogitas" and "Tardior quam putas".

Which one of this is the "right one"?

Thanks a bunch in advance, appreciate it!

elduce
Textkit Member

Re: Latin qoute help

Post by elduce »

Perhaps go with the one that sounds good when spoken out loud. That's a tough quote to latinize, and the Romans would probably say it differently. As to "tardior quam putas" shouldn't it be "tardius" because we're referring to an "it"? And
when you get the tatto, no one's going to know what it says anyway. How often do you meet Latin speakers?

I'd go with the "sero plus ut putes" because it has alliteration. People may read "tardior quam putas" and think it means something about retarded whores (if you know anything about Spanish).

vale
ego amo megaforce

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Re: Latin qoute help

Post by adrianus »

Salve AnnRandFan
I think "serius" is better than "tardius" here. "Tardius" fits best with the sense of "tardy" in English or "late for an appointment" or "delayed" or "behind time",—unless you want it to mean that, of course.
"Serius quam putas" or "Serius est quam putas" (the "est" for "is" is optional).

To me the bit "plus ut putas" suggests "the more that you think". So "The more that you think, the later it gets. So stop thinking and act!" That's nice, but maybe not the original thought.
I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction, and not because I'm confident in how I express myself. Latinè scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar, non quod confidenter me exprimam.