"Lucifer"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Джек
Textkit Neophyte

"Lucifer"

Post by Джек »

I am wondering as to the origin of this name. Obviously, it is one of the very many names for the Devil, Satan, Der Fürst der Finsternis (The Prince of Darkness), as they commonly call him in Germany. What does the Latin "Lucifer" mean? Well, I have an inclination that it may be Latin... if I'm wrong, then do tell me.

Gratias multas

Jack
If I am so brave as to attempt to write in Latin, please correct any mistakes I may make. Thank you

languageleon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by languageleon »

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=Lucifer

It is a combination of "lux(gen:-cis)" and "fer-", or light-bringer. Details in the link, and I'm sure on Wikitionary, too.

:)

Джек
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Джек »

Thanks. I find etymology very interesting. I didn't know about the site that you linked; I will look it up on there next time. Thanks very much.

Jack
If I am so brave as to attempt to write in Latin, please correct any mistakes I may make. Thank you

languageleon
Textkit Neophyte

Post by languageleon »

No problem. But what I find more interesting is the relation and translations of words, rather than their etymology.

To know a word comes from where-ever is cool, but to then compare "Prince of Darkness" to "Light-bringer" really puts language in perspective, no!

Lex
Textkit Zealot

Post by Lex »

languageleon wrote:No problem. But what I find more interesting is the relation and translations of words, rather than their etymology.

To know a word comes from where-ever is cool, but to then compare "Prince of Darkness" to "Light-bringer" really puts language in perspective, no!
I've always thought the myth of Lucifer is tied to the myth of Prometheus, the bringer of fire to man. The sin of both was excessive pride, and both were punished by the gods (or God) for their hubris. Also, men were then punished for accepting fire by giving them the "gift" of woman (Pandora, or "all gifts"), who of course brought all the woes of life on mankind when her "box" was "opened". This seems close in spirit at least to the story of Adam and Eve being cast out of Eden for eating the forbidden fruit. And, Prometheus' father, Iapetus (whose name may derive from the Biblical Japheth, son of Noah, according to Hornblower and Spawforth), was a Titan who was cast by Zeus into the depths of Tartarus.

cantator
Textkit Fan

Post by cantator »

languageleon wrote:... to then compare "Prince of Darkness" to "Light-bringer" really puts language in perspective...
As Lucifer he was considered to be the most beautiful of the angels. For the enormity of his crime he was transformed into the most hideous of things and made the receptacle for all evil (Dante has him ensconced in ice at the very bottom and center of Hell).

So "Lucifer" and "Prince Of Darkness" are kind of "before & after" monikers. ;)
Similis sum folio de quo ludunt venti.