Am i missing the point: Adj are always Adj

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
blutoonwithcarrotandnail
Textkit Fan

Am i missing the point: Adj are always Adj

Post by blutoonwithcarrotandnail »

Am i missing the point that in latin MILLE which is an adjective
(thousand) is always an adjective no matter what is around
it grammatically and MILLIA which is a noun (thousands) is
always a noun no matter what the sentence looks like?

Thanks.
cuts like ice cream fast like a razor blade

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

I have been observing your posts for some time, blutoonwithcarrotandnail, and I believe I have diagnosed your problem with Latin: you are thinking about it too much. Please, spare yourself the agony of grappling with these slippery grammar concepts, find yourself a copy of Lingua Latina or anything that you can read fluidly at your level, and absorb and enjoy the language without getting tangled in the grammatical thornbush you are currently thrashing about in.

To answer your question: mille is used both as an adjective and as an (indeclinable) noun. Mille viri: a thousand men. Mille habeo: I have a thousand. Milia, as the plural of mille, is only a noun, and declines: cum octo milibus pedum, with eight thousands of foot-soldiers.

calvinist
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by calvinist »

Yes, I have to agree with Twpsyn. The best way to really get a deep understanding of grammar is through reading, not in completely abstracted grammatical categories.