Catullus 2

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Brent2009
Textkit Neophyte

Catullus 2

Post by Brent2009 »

Hey guys, having a little problem figuring a part of this out

"Cum desiderio meo nitenti carum nescio quid libet iocari
(et solaciolum sui doloris, credio, ut tum gravis adquiescat ardor) tecum ludere sicut ipsa possem...."

"When it pleases my shining desire to say in jest dear I don't know what (and I believe it is a little comfort to her pain, ....) If I was able to play with you as she herself does..."

... can someone kinda lead me in the right direction (and I hope this is specific enough to get some help..)

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve Brent2009
I translate...ità verto
When it pleases the shining object of my desire [libet + dat] to play with I-know-not-what [or 'any'] precious thing and small comfort to her grief, I suppose so that then [her] deep pain may abate, would that I were able to play with you as she...
Also possibly
When it pleases the shining object of my desire [libet + dat] to play with a thing beloved and a small comfort to her grief,—I don't know why [but] I suppose so that then [her] deep pain may abate,—would that I were able to play with you as she...