Textkit Logo

Which Is The Best Online Latin Dictionary?

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Which Is The Best Online Latin Dictionary?

Postby tjnor » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:42 pm

Salvete omnes!

I have done a quick search on Textkit to see if this question had already been addressed in a former post ("online" and "Latin" and "dictionary") . Nothing came up. So, I would like to take suggestions from those of you who use such tools. Please explain why you like the particular online dictionary you suggest and how you use it. I will then set up a poll to see what the majority of users think. For example: is Perseus the be-all and end-all of online dictionaries?

Happy commenting.

Valete!
tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Postby thesaurus » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:43 pm

I don't think Whitaker's words can possibly be beat in terms of ease and comprehensiveness. Sure, you get lots of usage and background on words with Lewis and Short via Perseus, but when I'm actually trying to get some reading done I turn to Whitaker. Instant, succinct results.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby MiguelM » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Whitaker's Words for the regular questions, Diogenes (L&S as Perseus) for more comprehensive needs or whenever Words doesn't do it.
MiguelM
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin