Verify three translations

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Boban
Textkit Member

Verify three translations

Post by Boban »

1) Neptunus, Jupiters brother, mighty lord of all seas, lives in deep sea.
Neptunus, frater Iovis, potens dominus ??? marium, in alto mari habitat.

??? - if someone can tell me Latin translation for word "all"

2) We don't instigate fast horse with spur.
Calcari equum celerem non incitamus.

3) Jupiter, you will be righteous judge of fiercefull competition.
Iupitter, aequus arbiter acris certaminis eris.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Hi Boban
I am wondering if these sentences are your school homework, by any chance, which will be marked by a teacher? Are they?
Salve Boban
Demiror an forsitan hae sententiae pensum tuum domesticum scholâ est, quod à magistro notabitur? Estne?

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

adrianus wrote:Hi Boban
I am wondering if these sentences are your school homework, by any chance, which will be marked by a teacher? Are they?
Salve Boban
Demiror an forsitan hae sententiae pensum tuum domesticum scholâ est, quod à magistro notabitur? Estne?
I am not in school (for MANY years :)) but I am learning from school book.
I wouldn't post it here for verifing if I am going to school.
These sentences are from material that I am learning from.

petitor
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Verify three translations

Post by petitor »

Salve Boban,
Boban wrote: ??? - if someone can tell me Latin translation for word "all"
"omnium", as in "omnium marium"
must be in plural genitive to agree with "marium"

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Apologies, Boban. I left school many years ago, too, and I too am learning Latin from schoolbooks (mainly 17th century ones but more recent ones as well).
Me excusas, Boban. Ego quoquè iam multos annos scholam misi et, ut tu ipse, libris scholaribus Latinum disco (plerumquè illis septimi decimi saeculi at item recentioribus ).

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Well, I can only admire how patiently and carefully you work, Boban. What motivates you to learn Latin?
Te admiror, Boban, quià, ut clarum est, diligenter laboras et patienter. Quod te impellit Latinum discere?

Boban
Textkit Member

Re: Verify three translations

Post by Boban »

petitor wrote:Salve Boban,
Boban wrote: ??? - if someone can tell me Latin translation for word "all"
"omnium", as in "omnium marium"
must be in plural genitive to agree with "marium"
Thanks for that.

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

adrianus wrote:Apologies, Boban. I left school many years ago, too, and I too am learning Latin from schoolbooks (mainly 17th century ones but more recent ones as well).

Well, I can only admire how patiently and carefully you work, Boban. What motivates you to learn Latin?
No need to apologize. I am not offended, your question was reasonable.

Frankly, I lately started to read more books on my native language and there was one book which had many Latin phrases which made book very interesting and since I already knew little bit of Latin from school and prevoius learned it couple a years ago, I want to continue learning it since it is elegant language and I have (natural) desire to learn new languages also.
Latin is in many ways connected by history and tradition to my native language Serbian, which can be seen by very similar grammar rules (for example Serbian has 7 cases as opposed to 6 Latin cases, only difference is that ablative is divided in Serbian to two cases, instrumental and locative) so maybe I feel those roots hidden in me by my ancestors. :)

For me as Serbian is not too difficult to learn Latin because of great grammar similarity and Serbian language has many many grammar rules.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Boban wrote:Serbian has 7 cases as opposed to 6 Latin cases, only difference is that ablative is divided in Serbian to two cases, instrumental and locative
You know, Boban, of course, that Latin once had a locative case that it keeps only for a few words. By the way, tell me, Boban, does Serbian have diacritics for long vowels like Lithuanian, and under what circumstances do you stress a final syllable in Serbian (if at all)?
Scis certè, Boban, Latinum olim tempus locativum habere quod in casibus paucorum verborum singulorum retinet. Dic mihi obiter, Boban, ponitne Serbicum signa in syllabas longas, ut facit Lituanicum, et habetne ultima verbi syllaba unquam in ullis circumstantiis Serbicè vim ?

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

and the stress of a final syllable in Serbian?
et vis Serbicè syllabae ultimae?

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

adrianus wrote:and the stress of a final syllable in Serbian?
et vis Serbicè syllabae ultimae?
Final syllable is not, can't be stressed.
This is short answer but it's not complete, it's more complicated than that, but it's answer to your question.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Boban wrote:it's more complicated than that
That's the bit that interests me, Boban. Ecce quod mihi interest.

annis
Textkit Zealot

Post by annis »

adrianus wrote:That's the bit that interests me, Boban.
You might find that the title given to the painting on the bottom of this page offers an interesting new theory of Slavic accentuation: Accentual Mobility.
William S. Annis — http://www.aoidoi.org/http://www.scholiastae.org/
τίς πατέρ' αἰνήσει εἰ μὴ κακοδαίμονες υἱοί;

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

That's funny :lol:, William, though, in truth, I know next to nothing about Slavic accenting. I guess the joke implies "better not to ask". However, I'm a bit of a masochist.
Jocus est, Guillielme, ut suspicor (quià has res ignoro). "De regulis quae ad accentus slavicos pertinent meliùs est te non inquirere", eum suggerere puto, nonné? Verò, autem, dolorum paulò cupidus sum.

Thanks to you, William, for the reference.
Gratias tibi ago qui me ità invenire fecisti:
http://www.tommeltot.dk/downloads/oland ... andout.pdf
et http://www.staff.hum.ku.dk/olander/proj ... ummary.pdf

Boban
Textkit Member

Post by Boban »

adrianus wrote:
Boban wrote:it's more complicated than that
That's the bit that interests me, Boban. Ecce quod mihi interest.
Sorry, if I find some time to write it here I will, but since this is Latin forum I don't think it's the place for it. And also there are couple of pages that needs to be written for the question you asked, so I hope you understand. :)

But here are some links that answers your question:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serbian_language#Accents
http://www.bookterra.com/index.php/Serbian:Accent

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Thanks, Boban. That's OK. By the way, I should explain that I'm not interested in Serbian in its own right but in how the evidence of other languages helps me to understand exceptional cases of accenting terminal syllables in Latin, in particular historical examples and for reasons of differentiating adverbs, say, and their location in a sentence. Your references (the first especially) do address my question, so thanks.

Gratias, Boban, tibi ago. Licet. Nimium molestum tibi non volo. Fortassè autem me demonstrare oportet. Sercicum casu per se non mihi interest sed per quomodò argumenta quae complet (et quae complent aliae linguae) accentus singulares Latinè in syllabis ultimis me meliùs intellegere adjuvat, in casibus historicis, verbi causâ, et ad distinguendum adverbia et locos horum in sententiâ. Commemorationes tuae (prima maximé) ad quaestionem pertinent, ergò iterùm gratias.