Textkit Logo

adler cont'd

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

adler cont'd

Postby little flower » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:16 pm

hi again
what is the difference between these two sentences if any?'i have the good bread.'

habeo bonum panem
bonum panem habeo
(adler page 22)

also does anyone know how to jump to a page in adler rather than trying to scroll from zero to say page 350

little flower.
little flower
Textkit Member

Postby Gonzalo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Hi,

I can give a response to your first question since I have no experience with Adler but if it's a mere problem with any PDF file (as I think it's), you can type the page you want to turn below where the page number appears. I don't know if I've explained it well. Let me know if it's not clear.

"Habeo bonum panem" (= I have good bread) is the same as in "Bonum panem habeo" but, as you probably know, the usual order in Latin is SOV (subject-object-verb); so, I'd say there isn't any difference, but an stylistic one.

Regards,
Gonzalo
Verus enim amor semper tempore tristi elucescit magis. (Philipp Melanchthon: Decl. de studiis Linguæ Græcæ)
Quin age, si quid habes (P. Vergilii Maronis Ecloga III:52)
Gonzalo
Textkit Enthusiast

emphasis

Postby metrodorus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:41 pm

Bonum panem habeo, you are simply saying you have good bread

Habeo bonum panem, you are stressing the fact you HAVE the good bread, and perhaps maybe your friend has bread that is not quite as good, or some other sense, depending on context.

These are not a grammatical issues, per se. Word order in Latin is not cast in stone. SOV is a general rule of thumb, and does not always apply.

At the top of any pdf, there is a little box with the page number you are on. You can type any page number into that box, and press return, or the arrow next to the box, and you will jump to the new page number you have typed in.
metrodorus
Textkit Fan

adler

Postby little flower » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:21 pm

thanks chaps
much appreciated. latinum is a great website metrodorus by the way. it would be nice to use it in conjunction with adler or with another person as a question and answer session. which would you recommend.?
best of luck.

little flower.
little flower
Textkit Member

study partner

Postby metrodorus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:53 am

Hello Little Flower,
Certainly, a study partner helps with Latinum, so find someone who knows even less Latin than you, and start using it with them..a younger sibling/cousin/family friend....if you are just doing the sentences, then you could use Adler with a child of about 5 or 6 and upward quite successfully - not the grammar parts, just the conversation.
You will be shocked how quickly a young child can pick up a language in this way.
Evan.
metrodorus
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin