Pimsleur Latin (Dream)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
KramerKram
Textkit Neophyte

Pimsleur Latin (Dream)

Post by KramerKram »

Just an idea.

Imagine with me if you will.

1) Obtaining the transcriptions of one of the more complete Pimsleur programs like Spanish.
2) Utilizing their format and conversations. It would almost be possible to just delete the Spanish sections and insert Latin.
3) You would need two good speakers of Latin: a man and a woman. Or if we could talk Evan from Latinum into doing it, then we could just raise his pitch in the editing process for the woman's part. =)

I know, I know. Practical difficulties:
1) Transcribing 45 hours of audio.
2) Translating those 45 hours into Latin. That would include changing specific elements of Spanish culture into Roman culture.
3) Finding 2 good speakers willing to record 45 hours of audio.
4) Finding someone to edit all the audio files
5) Some sort of copyright infringement. (Hopefully they wouldn't care, since we wouldn't be selling it.)
6) Other things I'm not thinking of.

10 years later, after we had finished, then we could start on Greek!

So, I know it's a dream. But I can dream, right?

quendidil
Textkit Member

Post by quendidil »

Pimsleur doesn't actually feature 45 hours of foreign language audio on any of their courses; if you cut all the pauses and English, you'll end up with roughly 1-2hrs.

Personally, I'd prefer something like Michel Thomas for introducing beginners to the basics of the spoken language; but that's not really necessary either. What I'd like most is more FULLY RECORDED audiobooks of Latin Classics; like what they're doing on LibriVox for a number of public domain works.

Jim Bryan
Textkit Member

Re: Pimsleur Latin (Dream)

Post by Jim Bryan »