Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
mikeartin
Textkit Neophyte

Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Post by mikeartin »

There is a passage from Livy in Wheelock's Latin Reader (p. 177) with the clause "nec per occupatam armis Punicis Italiam facile erat aut nuntium aut litteras mitti". I can't figure out why mitti is used instead of mittere. The structure of the sentence seems to suggest the translation "and it was not easy to send either a messenger or a letter through Italy, occupied as it was by Punic arms". Is the passive infinitive used as a reflexive passive ("to send either a messenger or a letter for themselves")? That's the only explanation I can come up with.

Lucus Eques
Textkit Zealot

Re: Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Post by Lucus Eques »

mikeartin wrote:There is a passage from Livy in Wheelock's Latin Reader (p. 177) with the clause "nec per occupatam armis Punicis Italiam facile erat aut nuntium aut litteras mitti". I can't figure out why mitti is used instead of mittere. The structure of the sentence seems to suggest the translation "and it was not easy to send either a messenger or a letter through Italy, occupied as it was by Punic arms". Is the passive infinitive used as a reflexive passive ("to send either a messenger or a letter for themselves")? That's the only explanation I can come up with.
Great question. "Facile erat nuntium mittere" means "it was easy to send a messenger." "Facile erat nuntium mitti" means "it was easy for a messenger to be sent."
L. Amādeus Rāniērius · Λ. Θεόφιλος Ῥᾱνιήριος 🦂

SCORPIO·MARTIANVS

mikeartin
Textkit Neophyte

Re: Usage of passive infinitive with direct objects.

Post by mikeartin »

Great question. "Facile erat nuntium mittere" means "it was easy to send a messenger." "Facile erat nuntium mitti" means "it was easy for a messenger to be sent."
Thanks for clarifying. Is there a specific name for this use of the accusative that one could look up in a grammar? It doesn't seem to fit into any of the previous uses I've learned.

Twpsyn
Textkit Member

Post by Twpsyn »

It's the accusative as subject of an infinitive.