How to say "Winter Wind"?

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
apple_candy
Textkit Neophyte

How to say "Winter Wind"?

Post by apple_candy »

This is kind of urgent. I just wanna know the equal Latin term and I dont have much time to search it. A friend of mine say that "winter wind" in Latin is "hiemalis ventus"; but he's not so sure. Is that correct? I would be grateful if someone can help me with this.

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Re: How to say "Winter Wind"?

Post by thesaurus »

apple_candy wrote:This is kind of urgent. I just wanna know the equal Latin term and I dont have much time to search it. A friend of mine say that "winter wind" in Latin is "hiemalis ventus"; but he's not so sure. Is that correct? I would be grateful if someone can help me with this.
Your friend is correct in regards to a literal translation. If it's applicable, you could probably also use the word "hiems," which means winter, but also caries the meaning of a winter storm.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

apple_candy
Textkit Neophyte

Post by apple_candy »

Thank you. I just wanna use the word "wind". Do you know any better translation?

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve Dulciolum Malinum,
Rectè dicit Thesaurus. As Thesaurus says, ventus hiemalis and ventus hibernus are good.

If you say hiemalis ventus you're emphasizing that it's a winter wind (as opposed to another sort). Saying ventus hiemalis gives no special emphasis and is how you would normally say it.
"Hiemalis verbis" in dicendo, primum verbum emphasin habet. De "ventus hiemalis", emphasis deest. Hoc communiter dicis.

Essorant
Textkit Fan

Post by Essorant »

With a little poetic shift ("breath"="wind") you may be able to pull off alliteration in the Latin phrase too:

<b>halitus hiemalis</b> "winter wind"

<b>halitus hibernus</b> "winter wind"

<pre></pre>

mikeartin
Textkit Neophyte

Post by mikeartin »

While you could use a literal translation, a more appropriate Latin term would be Aquilo, which is the name of the deity that the Romans believed personified the north wind, the bringer of winter.