Case for word following "because of"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
LatinGirly
Textkit Neophyte

Case for word following "because of"

Post by LatinGirly »

Hi I'm new here and I have a question.

I'm trying to figure out, what would be the proper case for a word that comes after "because of"/ "propter". As in the sentence: I am happy, because of the news. Would "the news" be abblative? That is my guess but some reason it is kind of throwing me off.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Alatius
Textkit Fan

Post by Alatius »

Hi, and welcome!

Both the verb "laetor" and the adjective "laetus/-a" can be constructed with a plain ablative:

"Laetor nuntiis", or "laetus/-a sum nuntiis".

You can just as well (or maybe even better) use a preposition, such as "de", "ob" or "propter". In either case, you must use the case that the preposition governs: "de" takes the ablative, "ob" and "propter" take the accusative.

LatinGirly
Textkit Neophyte

Post by LatinGirly »

Thanks alot! :D

thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Post by thesaurus »

It's a more formal construction, but if you didn't want to worry about messing around with cases you could use the construction "propterea quod," which also means "because," or "on account of." It implies a strong causal relation between two phrases. Like "I'm happy (precisely) because I received good news." "Laetor propterea quod bonum nuntium accepi."
Last edited by thesaurus on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horae quidem cedunt et dies et menses et anni, nec praeteritum tempus umquam revertitur nec quid sequatur sciri potest. Quod cuique temporis ad vivendum datur, eo debet esse contentus. --Cicero, De Senectute

stilianus61
Textkit Neophyte

Post by stilianus61 »

Hi. The answer in your question is: propterea quod.