The word "Habesne"

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Scribo
Global Moderator

The word "Habesne"

Post by Scribo »

Right, remember I'm a noob to this, let us start.

Right, Habesne obviously comes from Habeo, the "ne" is an enclitic right and designates a question.

I've noticed tense: Habeo "I have", Habesne "Do you have?" so this is present tense, right? What are the other tenses that I need to know and how are they rendered?

Obviously I know past tense "did you have?", future tense "will you have?" as well as the present, but clearly I'm missing alot.

timeodanaos
Textkit Fan

Post by timeodanaos »

In Latin there are six tenses, three imperfective and three perfects that correspond to the imperfective as being completed (perfect) before the corresponding imperfective tense.

Future and future exact (perfective future)

Present and perfect (perfective present)

Preterite and pluperfect (perfective preterite)

For details about inflection and use, look it up in your grammar, this is no satisfying explanation.

Brent2009
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Brent2009 »

there are 6 tenses in Latin

Present; happening now [I am sitting, I sit, I do sit]
Imperfect; started, but never indicated a finish
Perfect; finished, Completed action [ I have sat, I sat]
Future; happening in the future [will sit]
Plupurfect; Past action, farther in the past. [usually used to contrast a verb of another earlier tense; e.g. I had sat]
Future Perfect; After something happens, this will have been done [ I will have sat]

as for asking questions, you simply take the verb in its tense and number, and add '-ne' to the end. e.g. vidisti would be the perfect tense

vidistine = Have you seen?