Translation of sentence

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
ascii
Textkit Neophyte

Translation of sentence

Post by ascii »

Hello again, I would like some help in the translation of the following sentence

Caesar media nocte castris omnibus copiis exit et iter ad flumen facit. Prima luce copias hostium pedestres in summo colle vident. Tum Caesar in dextro et sinistro cornu equites collocat.

This is what I have so far:

At midnight, Cesar goes out of the camp omnibus copiis and does(follows?) the path by the river. With the first light, he sees the enemy troops standing on the top of a hill. So Cesar puts knights on the right and left wings.

Is there an ellided preposition, what cases does exit govern? Is media acting as an adverb or is it an ablative singular that goes with nocte?

Thanks in advance.

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Re: Translation of sentence

Post by modus.irrealis »

Hi,
ascii88 wrote:Is there an ellided preposition, what cases does exit govern?
exeo is intransitive like "go out" -- about omnibus copiis, for some reason with troops and other military groups, you don't need a preposition to indicate "with", and the ablative is enough on it's own, but it's basically the same as if it had been cum omnibus copiis. I don't know if "elided preposition" is historically accurate but basically, yeah.
Is media acting as an adverb or is it an ablative singular that goes with nocte?
The latter.

Also about your translation, iter facio means something like "make one's way" or "make a journey".

pedester mean "on foot" so pedestres there doesn't have the verbal sense of "standing" as in your translation. It basically indicates that the enemy troops were infantrymen.

I'd say that tum is simply "then" rather than "so."

ascii
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ascii »

Great. What I said about an ellided preposition was refering to castris. Isn't it supposed to be exit ex castris?

modus.irrealis
Textkit Zealot

Post by modus.irrealis »

ascii88 wrote:Great. What I said about an ellided preposition was refering to castris. Isn't it supposed to be exit ex castris?
Oh, sorry. castra is just one of those words that can be used in the ablative without a preposition (for either ex castris or in castris).

ascii
Textkit Neophyte

Post by ascii »

Thank you very much.