Textkit Logo

"quem sese ore ferens" HELP!

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

"quem sese ore ferens" HELP!

Postby Lupa » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:42 pm

Alright, line 11, the first clause, of Book IV of The Aeneid (Pharr's) reads in Latin:

"quem sese ore ferens"

Pharr's usually handy little notes claims this means "how noble in appearance," and while I trust Pharr I just don't see how he came to that conclusion. I can see how ore=appearance, but how does ferens=noble? Is it one of those things that just doesn't make sense in English? Does it have something to do with him "carrying" himself well perhaps?

HELP! THANKS!

Lupa
Lupa
Textkit Neophyte

Postby Skylax » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:31 pm

Quem sese ore ferens (hospes successit)
SESE is direct object of FERENS and QUEM (from QUI exclamative, literally "what a man !") is predicate of SESE, ORE "face" being an ablative of Specification (Bennett page 142 [152]) thus it means something like : "as what a man appearing by his face !" (SESE FERENS : "bringing himself (before our eyes)").
Skylax
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby Lupa » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:06 am

THANKS! (mumbling) all my studying of Book IV and I wasn't even tested on it...oh well, at least now I know why most of the people that read the Latin think Dido is a whinning little cannam. For some reason she just doesn't sound as annoying in English.

Thanks again,
Lupa
Lupa
Textkit Neophyte

Return to Learning Latin