Latinum SuperMemo Adventure (Edit)

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
KramerKram
Textkit Neophyte

Latinum SuperMemo Adventure (Edit)

Post by KramerKram »

Original Topic wrote:I am currently slowly going through Orberg's Lingua Latina, while increasing my Greek vocabulary (New Testament). I utilize the program SuperMemo (a flashcard program) to aid in my language learning. Since Lingua Latina doesn't utilize any English, I thought I would maintain the practice. I am putting the Lingua Latina Grammatica, Pensa and Vocabula into Supermemo, but I am using Greek definitions for the Vocabula. It is highly rewarding work to not have to think in English, but truthfully, it is painstaking.

So, even though people here may not utilize SuperMemo, I believe we could derive some benefit from a Q and A list that many flashcard programs can import.

For example:
Q: mater, tris, f.
A: MHTHR, MHTROS, H

I would like to divide the lists into chapters, so if someone wanted to utilize our lists, they would be able to import them incrementally.

I am using BibleWorks' font BWGRKL for my greek font, because it has the ability to easily do hyphens, semicolons, and the accent marks do not affect the line spacing.

I am primarily using Hederich's, Novum lexicon manuale Graeco-Latinum et Latino-Graecum, but will occasionally guess the word in Greek and reverse look it up in Lexicon graeco-latinum in libros Novi Testamenti. I did not pick these books for any particular reason besides that they were on Google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JyoNAA ... ry_s&cad=0

http://books.google.com/books?id=8RIAAA ... ry_s&cad=0

If you have any ideas, recommendations, or would like to participate, please comment.
Above is the original topic, but now I am attempting at dividing up the Latinum Question and Answer audio and importing it into SuperMemo.

A simulated impromptu conversation.
Last edited by KramerKram on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

adrianus
Textkit Zealot

Post by adrianus »

Salve, KramerKram

Your work sounds very worthwhile. Are you an individual or a group? (You say 'our lists' in your post.)
Amabilis tua opera, ut mihi videtur. Laborasne solus vel pars gregis? (In epistuâ tuâ "inventoria nostra" dicis.)

tjnor
Textkit Neophyte

Post by tjnor »

Salve KramerKram,

I too use Supermemo. I think it is one of the best flashcard programs for PDA out there. I would be ineterested in your efforts. Are you posting your databases on the Supermemo website?

Have you found a way to use Greek characters with the program?

Vale,

Tim

KramerKram
Textkit Neophyte

Post by KramerKram »

adrianus wrote:Salve, KramerKram

Your work sounds very worthwhile. Are you an individual or a group? (You say 'our lists' in your post.)
Amabilis tua opera, ut mihi videtur. Laborasne solus vel pars gregis? (In epistuâ tuâ "inventoria nostra" dicis.)
The 'our' was a hopeful our. I have since given up on this project. It was delightful for a few days.

I have thought of another project for any SuperMemo or flashcard program users out there. (See below.)

tjnor wrote:Salve KramerKram,

I too use Supermemo. I think it is one of the best flashcard programs for PDA out there. I would be ineterested in your efforts. Are you posting your databases on the Supermemo website?

Have you found a way to use Greek characters with the program?

Vale,

Tim
I do not have my database on the SuperMemo website.
Here are the contents however:
1. My (in my opinion pervasive) personal notes for Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
2. Currently adding vocabulary for the New Testament divided into books. I have memorized the vocab from the Book of John and 80% of the Book of Acts.
3. I am currently adding the pensa from Lingua Latina into SuperMemo, and adding in all the grammatical forms suggested by the Rowling method
4. I had the entire vocabulary of the Hebrew Old Testament in SuperMemo organized by word occurrence, but I have since deleted it. I am planning on revising it.
5. I had an idea while listening to Latinum (this is my idea that I mentioned to adrianus above.) I am going to try and split up the Latinum Latin-only sessions into Q&A segments. The goal being: the question card will pop up in SuperMemo, and the Latinum Latin question audio will play. I will then answer out loud and check my response (and the Latin audio answer will play.) Sort of a simulated conversation. And as the database grows, I will have to be on my toes for Evan to jump out with questions while I'm doing my reps! =)

Then again, maybe this is another "in-over-my-head" project.

I'll tell you how it goes.

Addendum: As to how I get Greek in SuperMemo. At first I used the nasty method of changing the default font in Internet Explorer; all of my Mounce cards are done like that. While trying to figure out how to import the Biblical Greek and Hebrew vocabulary, I invented a convoluted other way.
I make a Q&A file in MSWord. I then import it into SuperMemo. I then immediately export it as XML. Then I batch edit the font in XML. (I use BibleWorks's font Bwgrkl.) Then I re-import the edited XML file. And voila!

I can give you a more detailed process if you wish.