Textkit Logo

Lingua Latina Textbook Questions

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

Lingua Latina Textbook Questions

Postby paulusnb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:08 pm

Salvete. I teach Latin in a High School in New Orleans. I stumbled across this Forum last week and have noticed that many of you are fans of Lingua Latina. I use Ecce Romani in my classes. I have also used Our Latin Heritage. I myself was taught out of Oxford. I have a copy of Lingua Latina and have some questions about its use in the classroom. Since some of you have Lingua Latina in the spleen, I figured you would not mind my asking.

The layout looks nice and would probably be pleasing to the little ones I teach (Latin I begins in 8th grade). I see that in the first 79 pages the author covers declensions 1-5, the case system, Greek nouns, and at least five uses of the ablative. Then, in pages 95-131, it teaches adjectives, adverbs, and comparison. Will my students, some of them 12 years old, get bogged down?

While I understand the division of the book (Part I: Nouns, Part IV: Verbs, etc.), my concern is that it slaps the student with too many specifics over too short a period. It also seems to make on a large scale the same mistake all books make by teaching similiar things in the same chapter. For example, I learned gerund, gerundive, and supine at the same time. Lingua Latina teaches comparison of adjectives at the same time it teaches adjectives from three declensions. This seems to be a recipe for confusion. Am I wrong?

Anyway, I was interested in hearing opinions. Ecce Romani is not perfect, but it is what I use. I am always looking for textbooks.

Thanks in advance,

Nathaniel
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Clarification

Postby paulusnb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:27 pm

The book I was talking about above is by Traupman. Is there a different Lingua Latina?

Nathan
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Re: Clarification

Postby thesaurus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:53 pm

paulusnb wrote:The book I was talking about above is by Traupman. Is there a different Lingua Latina?

Nathan

Ecce:
Lingua Latina: Vol. 1 Familia Romana, Hans Orberg
http://www.pullins.com/txt/LinguaLatina.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1585102 ... eader-link

There are accompanying teacher guides, grammatical supplements, exercises, etc.
thesaurus
Textkit Zealot

Postby paulusnb » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:08 pm

Thank you Thesaurus. I guess my question need not be answered. I assumed the Lingua Latina my school had was the one everyone was talking about. :)
paulusnb
Textkit Fan

Return to Learning Latin