The Princess and Goblin

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

The Princess and Goblin

Post by jadebono »

Hello people!

I'm going through a pretty intensive period during my studies right now but I do like dabbling with composition and it occurred to me to try my hand at a little extracurricular translation. The pleasure of composing without the fear of assessment was an inviting prospect so I decided to try my hand at translating parts of George MacDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin."

http://jadebono.blogspot.com/

I would be very grateful for any remarks and advice. However, do not expect too much. I've only got about the equivalent of 26 ECTS credits in Latin...

Many thanks

Rufus Gulielmus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rufus Gulielmus »

Salve, jadebono!

That story is awesome! From the blog, I see that you're at about the same level of experience as I am, and reading your translation is certainly encouraging and inspiring!

I think I might try to take on a similar project this summer, and I'll definitely use some of the resources you cited. That phrasebook in particular looks great.

Well done!

Rufus

jadebono
Textkit Neophyte

Post by jadebono »

Many thanks! I find the exercise extremely useful, not only to cement my knowledge of grammar and syntax but to give me an insight into the vagaries of moving from language to another.

The Meissner is very useful but the real jewel of the collection is the Smith. I had hitherto relied on the Cassell's for composition but Smith is a humungous volume about the size of the Lewis and Short and as such is very exhaustive.

If you decide to put your work on the internet, send me the link, I'll put it up on my blog.

Rufus Gulielmus
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Rufus Gulielmus »

I didn't notice the Smith--I'll definitely have to check that one out. What sort of Classics major would I be if I didn't have a healthy respect for gigantic tomes?

Once I get my project off the ground I'll let you know. It will most likely be a couple months yet before I get started, but if your site is still around I'll be sure to send you a copy.