Textkit Logo

uvidus vs madidus

Here's where you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get translation help and more!

Moderator: thesaurus

uvidus vs madidus

Postby mariek » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:51 am

What's the difference between these two words which both mean "wet"?<br /><br />Is it better to describe the soggy cat as feles uvida or feles madida?<br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re:uvidus vs madidus

Postby whiteoctave » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:09 am

uvidus typically means wet with water whereas madidus is a more poetic (and sinister) word and can be used of any substance. I have seen it used often with sanguine or cruore to mean "drenched in blood"<br /><br />~dave
phpbb
whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Postby mariek » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:26 am

<br />Thanks for explaining the differences. Interesting how madidus is more sinister. I rather like the sound of madidus, I like it more than uvidus.<br /><br />I've since learned of the word madefactus. How does this word fit in with the other two?<br /><br />
mariek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby benissimus » Tue Sep 30, 2003 4:44 am

Madefactus is less of an adjective and more of a preposition. It literally means "made wet" (as you know) or just "wettened" as opposed to just "wet".
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae
benissimus
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Learning Latin