The Tragic Story of Phaethon

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
MDS
Textkit Fan

The Tragic Story of Phaethon

Post by MDS »

This is taken from 38 Latin Stories<br /><br />I have translated this as:<br /><br />The Tragic Story of Phaethon<br /><br />Phaethon is the son of Phoebus. Phaethon’s friend is doubtful about the rumour of divine origin: “You are not the son of a god. You do not have the gifts of the gods. Your story is not true.” Great anger moves Phaethon: “I am the son of a god! Phoebus, give proof!" calls Phaethon. Phoebus listens to the boy and without delay flies down from heaven. "O my son, what do you desire?" Phoebus asks. "Money? Wisdom? A life without cares?” Phaethon answers, "I desire to have the reins and to drive the chariot of the sun." O foolish boy! Your plan is bad. You ought not to desire the duty of the gods. Phoebus warns his son, but the boy does not see the great danger. The horses are strong; Phaethon is not strong. The chariot without its true master goes astray in the sky. What do we see? Phaethon falls from the sky. O bad fortune!<br /><br />The bolded sentences are what I am having trouble with.<br /><br />The corresponding Latin sentences are:<br /><br />Habenas habere et currum solis agere desidero.<br /><br />and...<br /><br />Currus sine vero magistro errat in caelo.<br /><br /><br />Thanks in advance for your help!<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

benissimus
Global Moderator

Re:The Tragic Story of Phaethon

Post by benissimus »

Ah, I had to translate this story a very long time ago.<br /><br />Habenas habere et currum solis agere desidero.<br />Habenae, -arum - I assume means "reins"<br />Habere - to hold<br />currus, -us - (currum = accusative) chariot<br />solis - of the sun<br />agere - to drive, pass, lead<br />desidero - I desire (desiderare)<br /><br />Currus sine vero (verus) magistro (magister) errat in caelo.<br />Currus - chariot<br />sine (without) vero (a true) magistro (master... sort of unusual use of the word)<br />errat - (errare) it wanders, errs, goes astray<br />in caelo (caelum) - in the sky
flebile nescio quid queritur lyra, flebile lingua murmurat exanimis, respondent flebile ripae