Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
klewlis
Global Moderator

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!

Post by klewlis »

http://www.salon.com/ent/wire/2003/09/2 ... ex.html<br /><br />NEW YORK (AP) --"Green Eggs and Ham" is an easy read. After all, the late Theodore Geisel, belovedly known as Dr. Seuss, wrote it after his editor challenged him to do a book in just 50 words.<br /><br />But have you tried to read it in Latin?<br /><br />Retitled "Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!" the Seuss classic has been rendered into Latin by Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers Inc. of Wauconda, Ill. The target audience is "people who took Latin in school and have fond remembrance of it, teachers and students who take Latin -- and, of course, Seuss fans," Kelly Hughes, a spokeswoman for the publisher, said Wednesday.<br /><br />Two Seuss books that were translated earlier, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and "The Cat in the Hat," have sold a combined 60,000 copies in Latin.<br /><br />Translators Terence and Jennifer Tunberg, husband and wife professors in the Department of Classical Languages at the University of Kentucky, did not aim for a literal interpretation of the tale, in which the character named Sam-I-Am tries to get a friend to try green eggs and ham in a box, with a fox, in the rain, on a train, etc.<br /><br />Instead, they went for a Seusslike rhythm of the eight-syllable lines.<br /><br />In English, you get, "I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am."<br /><br />In Latin, you get, "Sum 'Pincerna' nominatus, Famulari ... nunc paratus!"<br /><br />Sharon Kazmierski, a teacher of Latin and columnist for "The Classical Outlook," the journal of the American Classical League, reviewed "Virent Ova!"<br /><br />"Instead of literally translating the classic, Jennifer and Terence Tunberg have written this book in the same style that Theodore Geisel might have if he were fluent in neo-Latin. This book doesn't just look like a Seuss book. It sounds like a Seuss book," Kazmierski said.<br /><br />"Virent Ova! Viret Perna!!" is accompanied by Dr. Seuss' original whimsical drawings. A glossary of Latin-to-English vocabulary and a note on "How to Read These Verses" appear at the back of the book.<br /><br />Whichever recipe one chooses, of course, the result is the same.
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus