Latin Help Please

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Peter_UK
Textkit Neophyte

Latin Help Please

Post by Peter_UK »

I would like to translate this phrase from English to Latin and hope somebody can help me :)<br /><br />"Endeavor to the Light" <br /><br />The light being a spiritual kind of light.<br />Thanks in advance,<br />Peter<br />

klewlis
Global Moderator

Re:Latin Help Please

Post by klewlis »

for clarification's sake:<br /><br />the use of endeavor here is unusual and somewhat ambiguous. <br /><br />It normally means "to attempt" something, which gives us "attempt (to) to the light" ??<br /><br />attempt to.... reach the light? attempt to... find the light?
First say to yourself what you would be; then do what you need to do. ~Epictetus

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

"Temptate ad lucem" <br /><br />assuming that "endeavour" is imperative...but then that would need another verb...perhaps you could just throw a facere in there because it's the best ;D<br /><br />

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

I take your endeavour as a striving towards this elusive "light". It also strikes me as a hortation to one's self, and therefore a singular imperative; only Peter_uk can clarify that.<br />Thus we have:<br /><br />ad lucem pete<br />~Strive to the light<br /><br />luci pete<br />~Strive for the light<br /><br />If you are feeling poetic you could swap "luminem" in the first for the "lucem" there, and put in "lumini" for"luci" in the latter. This word was occasionally used figuratively by Virgil, Horace etc. for the light [of the soul].<br /><br />~dave

Peter_UK
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Peter_UK »

What a fantastic response!<br /><br />Whiteoctave is correct in thinking of striving towards the light being a hortation of one's self or light of the soul.<br /><br />Thanks again for your replies,<br />Peter

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

whiteoctave, are you some kind of Cambridge student or professor? <br /><br />And why do you put "luci" there...wouldn't that be "for the light"...as in doing something for the light rather than for one's self?

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

Episcope:<br />luci, as you so rightly observed, is in the dative; you, also rightly, noted that it could hence mean "for the light". However, as I am sure you know, it could, being dative, mean "to the light" and, with a verb of striving towards an indirect object (thus not in the accusative), the ad+acc can be swapped for the "to..." usage of the dative.<br /><br />In response to your question, I am shocked that you could think I would be a professor - that is light years away from my ability. I am soon (in just over a week) to begin as a Cambridge undergraduate, however, yes. :)<br /><br />~dave

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

How did you guess Cambridge, Episcopus?

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

[quote author=Keesa link=board=3;threadid=714;start=0#6898 date=1064542227]<br />How did you guess Cambridge, Episcopus? <br />[/quote]<br /><br />Our great Bishop is quite perspicacious! ... or maybe he took a peek at WhiteOctave's profile and noticed his location. ;D<br /><br />

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Hmm...you think? ;D

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

[quote author=whiteoctave link=board=3;threadid=714;start=0#6881 date=1064532076]<br />Episcope:<br />luci, as you so rightly observed, is in the dative; you, also rightly, noted that it could hence mean "for the light". However, as I am sure you know, it could, being dative, mean "to the light" and, with a verb of striving towards an indirect object (thus not in the accusative), the ad+acc can be swapped for the "to..." usage of the dative.<br /><br />In response to your question, I am shocked that you could think I would be a professor - that is light years away from my ability. I am soon (in just over a week) to begin as a Cambridge undergraduate, however, yes. :)<br /><br />~dave<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Nice one ;)<br />Do I have the right verb here? peto, petere, petivi, petitus - aim for, attack; make for, go to...<br /><br />It doesn't say anywhere that peto takes the dative (like nocere, persuadere etc.) but with which verbs can one write an indirect object instead of ad+acc. In just those of aiming? Or perhaps hastening? So could "ad urbem properavi" perhaps be "urbi properavi"? <br /><br />The form would in the 1st declension be the same as the locative...<br />"Romae petite" - could that be done? <br /><br />Well I am a beginner so date mihi tempus ;)<br /><br />

wazabell
Textkit Neophyte

Post by wazabell »

that is amazing how u guyz can remeber all that stuff...i get so lost cuse i can't member everything!!

whiteoctave
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by whiteoctave »

The use of peto with the dative can, as far as i know, be used as long as the meaning of peto is not one of actual movement, that is, the action of the verb does not require physical motion. In the phrase "strive/endeavour to/for the light' the actual striving wouldn't necessarily mean running towards it.<br />I have always regarded peto as having four distinct meanings: I strive for/desire; I attack; I ask/beg; I make for (physically).<br />It can be possible, particularly in poetical constructions, to take the dative for any of the first three sets of meaning, in replace of a preposition and its respective noun. The last meaning, however, which obviously connotes physical movement, should really retain ad+acc, since ad is the ideal preposition to show continuous movement towards a goal.<br />You could say "Romae petere", meaning "to head for Rome", but that should only really be done when metre demands.<br />Apologies for the disjointed nature of this reply.<br /><br />~dave<br /><br />- I will try and find a use of peto (with its 'motion' meaning) taking the dative, just to show it is possible.