Vote for the next Latin book to be posted!

Here you can discuss all things Latin. Use this board to ask questions about grammar, discuss learning strategies, get help with a difficult passage of Latin, and more.
Puella Parva
Textkit Neophyte

Re:Vote for the next Latin book to be posted!

Post by Puella Parva »

I don't know enough about Latin to know which one would be best, so I voted for Terence :D

Keesa
Textkit Zealot

Post by Keesa »

Greenough is really pulling ahead. That's okay. It was hard to pick between it and the Aenead, anyway.

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

The other possibility is Commentary on Caesar's Gallic War by<br />J. B. Greenough, Benjamin L. D'Ooge, M. Grant Daniell, which is on Perseus at:<br /><br />http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/pt ... 99.04.0017<br />

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Hey bingley, I can't seem to find any actual text on that...<br /><br /> ???<br /><br />Why couldn't they just put it in .pdf ??

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Did you click on the Table of Contents to navigate through the rest of the document?<br /><br />I guess it's designed for reading online, not really for downloading. Unless you wan to painstakingly PDF the pages yourself.<br /><br />

bingley
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by bingley »

If you look on the left hand panel, you'll see a section where it says:<br /><br />Display text chunked by: <br />text <br />book <br />chapter <br />pg_l (default)<br />section (default)<br /><br /><br />So you can choose whether to display a particular page, or section, or chapter, or the whole book

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lisa »

[quote author=Episcopus link=board=3;threadid=694;start=30#7390 date=1064939821]<br />Why couldn't they just put it in .pdf ??<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Hi, all. <br />In the case of the Classics texts, a vast majority of these were data entered by hand and are stored in sgml. We don't have any archival page images for the classics collection, even for those few works which were scanned and OCR'd on site.<br /><br />Should we acquire the resources, we could easily convert the sgml files to pdf. While the end result would be a searchable (and possibly cross-referenced) pdf, you would lose original formatting of the book. <br /><br />pdfs are on the wish list, but are fall outside of our funded research, so they haven't high priority. We would like, one day, to be able to restore full text downloads for free and clear works, too.<br /><br />Best,<br />Lisa<br />PS On page display errors, finding works and authors, or anything related to the site, write to us (mostly me) at the Perseus webmaster address.<br />webmaster@perseus.tufts.edu

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

[quote author=bingley link=board=3;threadid=694;start=30#7356 date=1064905284]<br />The other possibility is Commentary on Caesar's Gallic War by<br />J. B. Greenough, Benjamin L. D'Ooge, M. Grant Daniell<br />[/quote]<br /><br />I plan on someday getting to that one - the illustrations are world-class.
Textkit Founder

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

OK - so 2nd Year Latin clearly won out - so why is Terence posted? ???<br /><br />Sorry, I didn't have enough time this week to complete 2nd Year Latin - it's coming next. Phormio on the other hand was already scanned and was a snap to get online.<br /><br />jeff :)
Textkit Founder

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

No problem Jeff, the more books the better. Besides, the four people who voted for it will be placated for the time being.

mariek
Global Moderator

Post by mariek »

<br />Was this some sort of solo-self-fulfilling-prophecy? You pre-scanned it with the expectation that it would be the one we would all vote for? ;D We'd be happy with any new books you post on the site. The more the better. <br /><br />How delightful! It's something short for me to read so there might be some hope of finishing it and thus achieving a sense of accomplishment. I'll just make sure I have my handy dandy dictionary with me when I tackle it. :)<br /><br />

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

you would be surprised what's already scanned, photocopied, cleaned.. I have lots of books all at various stages of completion. But I get distracted and constantly re-examine publishing priorities.<br /><br />The other reader Herodotus was already photocopied and scanned as well - and I WAS glad that one won or else I would be apologizing twice.
Textkit Founder

MDS
Textkit Fan

Post by MDS »

Great to know its a constant process for you Jeff!<br /><br />I downloaded it and it looks great, I especially enjoy the bookmarks on the side!

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

Hey Jeff, how do you scan books?<br /><br />Could I just take pictures of the pages with a digital camera and make them pdf? That would be sweetly quick ;D

Carola
Textkit Enthusiast

Post by Carola »

Episcopus wrote:Hey Jeff, how do you scan books?<br /><br />Could I just take pictures of the pages with a digital camera and make them pdf? That would be sweetly quick ;D
I know Jeff has a Super Scanner but for us mere mortals try the Canon Canoscan Lide20 - very cheap and does scans up to Letter size and saves in PDF format. Not super fast but you can scan while you do something else.

Lisa
Textkit Neophyte

Post by Lisa »

Carola wrote:
Episcopus wrote:Hey Jeff, how do you scan books?<br /><br />Could I just take pictures of the pages with a digital camera and make them pdf? That would be sweetly quick ;D
I know Jeff has a Super Scanner but for us mere mortals try the Canon Canoscan Lide20 - very cheap and does scans up to Letter size and saves in PDF format. Not super fast but you can scan while you do something else.
We purchased a Canoscan for portability. It is not fast, but it gives high quality, is lightweight, thin, and easy to use.

I do not think your standard digital camera set up will give good page images. Keep in mind, not only are you working with poor lighting, but also things like page curvature, and resolution. You wouldn't get the kind of detailed resolution you need for a decent pdf, let alone OCR.

Only high end industrial scanning uses a camera-based set up, and even this is a proprietary, line by line scanning camera with special light effects. Stanford University has a robotic scanner system which uses this type of camera.

Best,
Lisa

mingshey
Textkit Zealot

Post by mingshey »

Finally, the Greenough's Second Year Latin is online!
Good job, Jeff!
Always thankful for your invaluable effort.

Jeff Tirey
Administrator

Post by Jeff Tirey »

mingshey wrote:Finally, the Greenough's Second Year Latin is online!
Good job, Jeff!
Always thankful for your invaluable effort.
You're welcome!

When I thumbed through this book I was so gald to see very easy Latin. I know this has been a request for some time, so I'm happy that it's finally here.

jeff
Textkit Founder

Episcopus
Textkit Zealot

Post by Episcopus »

You the man francis!!

Thankyou ever so much Jeff it will be very helpful to me!